Tempo run
I did my first tempo run tonight. Actually, I think it was a tempo run. Apparently Omaha-ians are kind of tempo dumb. Running group was pretty sparse, so Running Coach was able to run with just me.
We took off at a good pace, and next think I knew, Garmie said 7:30. He didn't appear to be slowing down, so I tentatively asked, "so, uh, are we doing a tempo run today?" "Yep!" I did 17 miles in the last two days, and I'm four days post-half marathon, but I couldn't disappoint Running Coach. Final stats:
Mile 1: 8:05
Mile 2: 7:53
Mile 3: 7:59
Mile 4: 7:49
Mile 5: 7:31
That's about 45 seconds faster than my Boys Town Memorial Day 5 mile race a couple weeks ago. Looks like I suck at running speedy on my own. It felt pretty great to run that fast, so I'm excited to do these more often.
Kcirb workout
I'm doing my first Kcirb workout Saturday morning. (It's Brick spelled backwards. Clever, no?) I planned last month to get myself a bike. The more I thought about it, the more I need to actually ride a bike to make sure I like it before I make the investment.
My mom is kind enough to let me borrow her cross bike for the summer to see what I think. Like a foster bike program. The only problem is getting the bike from her house to mine. Our cars aren't big enough, but who needs a car when you have two legs!
The plan is to run the 10 miles there and ride the 10 miles back. Omaha sucks with trails and bike paths, so I'm hoping I can do this without getting mushed by traffic. The Parks and Rec website says a continual path exists, but I plan to drive it to make sure.
This workout may kill me or leave me stranded somewhere in the middle, but I'm excited to push myself and see what happens. Apparently one decent tempo run makes me want to be a triathlete.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

36 comments:
Wow, those are speedy splits! Congratulations! Running Coach must be proud of you because I know *I* am! :-) Awwww.
it's hard to know if you should (and can) go harder alone, and often easier to run faster with someone else. i think it's cause of the distraction myself. nice job on the run!!
So clever! I had no idea what kcirb was...thanks for explaining!
Omaha-ians? *rolls eyes*
I'd wear a helmet both ways to get your bike.
Um, I guess you could call that a tempo run "Omaha Style" - A really good run nonetheless.
Way to be speedy!
What a great idea running 10 than biking 10 home. I think you are going to enjoy the bike. Have a nice weekend.
nice job on the 5 miler...very speedy..you should bring the coach with you on your races....
That is a speedy tempo run! Nice job.
And good luck with the kcirb this weekend!
speedy pants! nice tempo run.
Great job on the tempo run. I am sure that if you keep running with the coach you will learn to pace yourself better and of course the garmin will help.
Good luck running and biking!
Speedy tempo run! Having someone toi pace you makes SUCH a difference!
Good luck with the Kcirb.
Love the Kcirb idea! Good luck navigating the roads - and have fun testing out the bike :)
Wowsers, nice 5 mile tempo. Uffda. Good luck on the brick. Fingers crossed the trail isn't a hoax.
That's one speedy run! Maybe you should have a pacer for your next race?
Have fun this weekend!
That's quite the speedy run! Great job.
LOL at the kcirb workout. Hope it goes well for you.
MCM Mama
Dang thats an awesome speed workout lady! Great job! Be careful riding your bike back. I'm sure you will be, but watch out for other people, cuz i know they dont watch out for you! :-) Good luck!!!
Wow! Great job on the tempo run!! It's nice when you have someone to push you!! Have fun doing the Kcirb!!
Good job speedy. I hope you like the bike.
your are speedy! way to go on your first tempo :) And good luck withe kcirb - don't get squished.
I look forward to your upcoming disasterous kcirb workout. Have a good weekend. Cheers.
That's a great tempo run. Good luck with the run/bike this weekend - I bet you will have fun!
That is a great (and FAST) tempo run, damn! And if you ask me (or in fact, ARE me) that should have set you up perfectly for a spasming musscle, in which you could have sampled ART to work out. But not you, you are obviously tougher than tempo.
Good luck on the Kcirb...the though of biking makes me want to....drive. And if you find a safe route around Omaha, my level of awe at you will increase quatrifold. :-)
Wow nice splits on the 5'er! Tempo runs really help me gain confidence at faster speeds.
Yay for a Kcirb! I'm going to keep up my bricks on Wednesdays. You are going balls out on yours...10 miles of each! I'm starting slow =).
P.S. Yuppers "tooooooe pick" is correct!
Good luck with your kcirb, Speedy.
(I call you "Speedy" because I suspect, after that last run, you're taking illegal methamphetamines. Way to CHEAT, Speedy!)
I also suspect M2Marathon is on crystal meth because she's just making up words, now - like "quatrifold".
Tweakers do that.
LOL @ Kcirb.. love it! Nice run, and hope you enjoy the bike! Have a great weekend.
You go, girl! That is one speedy tempo run. Hope you get home safe with that bike!
Good luck on the workout! That sounds like a good plan, though! Enjoy the bike and the weekend..
Damn, girl! That is some serious speed! Great job!
Hope the Kcirb (yes, I had to check that like 5 times to make sure it was right) goes well! Can't wait to read about it!
woooo nice job on the speedy tempo run!
Biking on the road terrifies me. I'll have my fingers crossed and looking towards the North-East hoping for a safe bike ride!
ps. you'll be fine, I'm just irrationally super scared. And great job running!
Woo speedy run! I think it's easier to run fast when you're following someone versus pushing yourself. You can think about just keeping up with someone instead of checking your pace all the time and feeling like you need to speed up.
Enjoy the kcirb!
good luck on the bike workout, and great job on the speed, it sooo helps speed to run w others!
That was all pretty much gibberish to me, but way to go!
Great negative split on the run!
Great tempo paces!
Post a Comment