Monday, June 1, 2009

Dam 20K Race Report

Overall race evaluation: B-
My overall race performance: B-

First, the entire weekend was SUCH a good time. These girls I traveled with were funny, awesome, supportive, and made me wish I lived closer and could hang out more often. We'd all be workout buddies and friends, I know it!

The race itself had some highs and lows.

Good:
1. Well organized- I appreciate plenty of signs and easy pickup.

2. Pretty course- It's a point to point, and the first part is through cornfields and other beautiful scenery. There's also lots of shade along the way, and they did a good job of shutting down streets to give us plenty of room.

3. Entertainment- There were bands along the way and a big hoopla party at the end.

Bad:
1. Shirts- Seriously, don't ask me what size shirt I want and not have that size when I get there. Order more smalls-- trust me.

2. MIA Gatorade- I only saw one station with Gatorade along the course. Which, I guess is my fault for assuming there would be more, but I would have brought more than 1 gel had I known. Also, the Gatorade at the end was tricky to find, and I was pretty ravenous. "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!?!?"

3. No chips for the 5K- They intended to chip it but didn't for some reason. One of the girls I was with would have competed for an AG award, so I was mad on her behalf.

My running also had some highs and lows.

We drove to Des Moines, picked up our packets, and made out way to dinner on Friday night. Before going to bed, we talked a bit about our race strategies. With only 9 days notice, I knew I wasn't in tip-top racing shape, so I decided to run with house money and see what happened. PR or bust!

The alarm went off the next morning at 4:40, and I was ready to go. Got to the start, got lined up, and go.

Mile 1: (9:11) Far too much weaving around people who can't line up correctly. Grrrr.

Mile 2-5: (7:45ish pace) Weeeeee! I'm flying!

Mile 5-8: (8:15ish pace) Okay... chill out a little... is that a giant hill up there?

Mile 8-10: (8:30ish pace) Wow, this kind of sucks. Wish I would have done more long runs. Am I done yet?

Mile 10-12.4: KABOOM! (9:30++) Ah, so this is what blowing up feels like. Kill me nooooow.

So in conclusion, had the race been a 17K, I would have cleaned up! Unfortunately, it was a 20K and I got rocked pretty good those last couple miles. Which was fine. I've only been racing for a year, and I'm still learning to find my limits. It felt great to know I could run that fast, and had I been in better race shape, I know could have held on for longer.

Final Stats:
1:46:59
86/404 in my age group

The remainder of Sunday was spent napping (duh), eating, shopping, and driving home. (Thankfully, my pink Recovery Socks were on hand to keep me from being the least bit sore today.) All the girls did well, and I'm thrilled they let me tag along. Hopefully this will be an annual road trip.

In conclusion, I decided I really need to get this pacing thing under control. I just can't run races on "feel" since I get swept up with other people. Solution: Garmie! (Details to come soon, but I think I'm in love.)

52 comments:

C said...

First!

C said...

You've gone over to the Garmin dark side now. How could you leave me behind?!

JK! I have a severe pacing issue as well, but I'm too cheap to ever shell out for a Garmin. Eh, I'll live. :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an awesome race!
Still, despite the dip after 17 K, a very decent race!

Lindsay said...

glad you had a fun weekend! too bad you all don't live closer :(

congrats on the race! pace-consistency is hard to do/adjust to. good luck with that!

Anonymous said...

20K and only one Go Juice Station? That's just retarded. On the other hand, sounds like you had a good time.

Denise said...

Pacing is hard for me, too. I loved your comments though. You did great, congrats!

kristen said...

Sounds like you were all over the place, but were strong thorughout the first 10 miles. I still have problems pacing myself. Live and learn I guess. Good job.

M2Marathon said...

The gremlin is essential for consistent pacing....until it quits working, that is. And I've decided race pacing/strategy is a fine art...and takes lots of practice. Lots. Glad you had fun though!

Ace said...

Grats on a great race!

I hate it when they say Gatorade/gel/single shot pistols to end the misery will be at aid stations then they either have enough for one person or only at one aid station, that's 1/2 mile off the course and is also called "Al's convenience store".

Gotta love the racing road trips!

Amy said...

Yeah, join the Garmin side! I just got mine and LOVE it. It is also forcing me to run faster and feeling like death a bit more, but I'll take the good with the bad.

Nice race report...I like the "weee, I'm flying" comment. Haha! It always feels that way in the beginning and then you hit that dang wall. Ugh.

Still, finishing a 20K is no small feat. Good work :)

Anonymous said...

Pacing is difficult, especially during races. I really can't go on feel. Some days I feel great, but I am going slow and other times I feel slow but am really moving. A garmin will help.

Jess said...

I hear you on the t-shirt size complaint! They need more smalls and extra smalls!

Being Robinson said...

Sounds like a good race and a fun weekend. And a Garmin eh, YAYA! You are still super speedy for only being a runner for a year, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hit those times for a 20K, so congrats.

Marlene said...

When I eventually post my race report from yesterday, it's going to sound a LOT like yours.

You ran an awesome time, though. Congrats!!

Chic Runner said...

Garmin! :) ha ha, love it. Sounds like a great race and you killed it out there. Great job! :)

Anonymous said...

I so agree about the race t-shirts. Haven't they ever seen runners? So why do they run out of smalls so often? Anyway, nice job on the 20k-- I would absolutely blame the weaving start for your pace issues (e.g. other people), not you. But hey, if it's an excuse to get a Garmin...

Kelly said...

Sounds like a good race. yay for Garmie! How fun.

Niki said...

Great job on the race!! Love my Garmin! I would be lost without it!

Razz said...

Nice job! I'm a little pissed you didn't give me any openings to make fun of you. congrats.

Abby said...

Glad you enjoyed your first race road trip, even though the race itself wasn't 100% up to par. Congrats on a great race, mild pacing snafus and all!

raulgonemobile said...

Ah, you'll love the Garmin.. :)

Congrats on the race.. you still did really well

Lauren said...

Congrats on the race! Those sure are some uneven miles. I thought I was the only one that was bad at pacing.

Heather said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Having a garmin has really changed my life, not to be too overly dramatic about it. :) It really does help those pacing issues.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

you'll love the Garmin. Well done on the race, you're a strong runner, you'll figure out the pacing :)

No Longer Using said...

i thought about running with a watch,... and i think it def makes sense for a longer race. i dont' think i could handle the stress for a 5k tho... but if i got a garmin i think i would wear it for a half? maybe? seems like a lot of info tho...

Felice Devine said...

Grr...that race shirt thing ALWAYS bugs me! Why ask? My race on Sat was the first one that has had my size (the size I requested on the form) since I ran this race last year. All the others have been out.

Good luck with the pacing. It is tough! You did a good job with the long race, though!

Erika said...

I suck at pacing, even with a garmin LOL.

Sounds like a fun race. It's on my list of possible midwest races. You did great considering you didn't train specifically for it.

MCM Mama

I Run for Fun said...

Congrats! Sounds like a fun group to run with. The shirt thing always bothers me. I never get a small!

Anonymous said...

Glad you got it done!

J said...

Pacing can be tough but I am sure you will get the hang out it! Weaving around ppl is the worst! I hate how ppl line up wrong all the time!! Great job on the race!

Unknown said...

sounds like the good outweighed the bad. but if you do the race again, you'll know to be more self sufficient for that one.

oooh new garmie?!?!

Oz Runner said...

awesome job on the race, that is an excellent time even with the slowdown after 17K...hold your head high, you'll find that perfect pace..

grr about no chips on the 5K but most of the 5Ks in our area don't have chips either...

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Good job on the race! That's a great time!

Small? What are you - a girl?

Nicole said...

It is SOO annoying when you must weave. You still rocked the race. A 20K in such short notice? Friggen awesome job girl!

Mica said...

Great time, even if you bemoan your consistency problems. Let's run together some time; we can both be all over the place with our splits! Hooray!

Susan said...

I do not understand why anyone would ask for shirt sizes and then not have them. Or why races have shirts that "run big" or order lots of larges. We're runners! We're not big people! Drives me crazy.

Go Garmin!! You'll never turn back. :)

Marci said...

Pacing is so hard sometimes, but you did great. I've never done a 20K race, its neat to run various distances!

The Laminator said...

Spread that Garmie love...

Great race, XC2! Correct pacing during a race is always a live-and-learn process, and takes a very long time to get right.

Glad you had a good time at the race!

Rookie on the Run said...

Sounds like you had a great time!! I can't believe they only had one Gatorade station. And ran out of your size shirt.

Anyway, congrats! I am so unpaced when I run... I need to get a Garmin, too. I'll live vicariously through you, for now. ;)

Maggs said...

Only one gatorade station? I would have died.

Hone said...

Good report. It is funny that no matter the distance if they were just a little shorter everything would have been great. I go through that every race.

Congrats!!

B. Kramer said...

It's good to find your limits, and I think it helps you find your pace as well. But if you want to run with a big, ugly, expensive watch on your arm, so be it.

Jess said...

Congrats on a great race. That is annoying about your shirt size though!

P.O.M. said...

The Garmin is awesome for pacing! But I just lost my dang charger and the battery is dead - I feel like a lost puppy.

{will run for margaritas} said...

Great post - and congrats on the race - it sounds awesome!!

Jamie said...

Garmie will be life changing :) even though I still suck at pacing I suck a little less with the garmin. Glad you had a fun weekend even if not the outcome you hoped. You did great though!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, running by feel well requires experience. In my first year of marathoning/racing, I blew up at a marathon once going out WAY too fast in the first 5 miles. I got a Garmin shortly after that :-)

N.D. said...

It is hard to get the hang of the pacing, I think! You did great! Liked reading your report!

Unknown said...

Isn't that a great race. Great after party also.

Aron said...

sounds like it was a lot of fun!!! and traveling with a group of girls is always awesome :)

great job girl! pacing is difficult... garmin does help :)

Alisa said...

You still did a great job!

Wow, one water stop with Gatorade?!? I woulda died.

Clare said...

i'm the worst at pacing...can NOT be consistent in races!