Friday, February 20, 2009

My very own running coach

So after I mentioned about the free running screening yesterday, I didn't make it out of work in time. (Boo!) But I didn't make it out for 8 miles before it got dark. (Yay!) Even the 30 minutes more of daylight in the last month have made a huge difference in my ability to get back into running after work. So nice.

But in more exciting news, I think I found myself a running coach. And I wasn't even looking for one either. Now, I work for a large architecture and engineering firm, and while I am neither, I find their analytical-ness an endearing contrast to my expressive, extrovert, marketing self.

I was talking to one of our environmental guys yesterday who runs, and he asked how my running was going.

Me: It's going pretty well. I think I'm running the Lincoln Marathon in 10 weeks.
Him: Very exciting. Are you following a training plan?
Me: Not really. I didn't for my first marathon either. Online plans don't really work for me.
Him: Would you like a custom plan?
Me: Sure!
Him: Great, I've developed a spreadsheet and some formulas for me and another runner... blah blah... math and science major babble...

Here's a sampling of what I told him:
  • I've never paced myself and don't own a watch with that capability. (Seriously, race times are always a complete surprise to me.)
  • I don't track or plan my runs.
  • I've done one interval workout, zero marathon pace workouts, and zero tempo runs.
  • I can't workout inside or in circles.
  • I may get a bike this spring, but otherwise, I don't really do cross-training. Just running 5-6 days a week.
  • My goal is to cut my marathon time by 4:26 (getting sub-4 hours), so his bar for success is set fairly low.

But even after all my stipulations, he still agreed to do it. His love for running is only matched by his love for EIS's and counting bunnies, so the man has a passion for a systematic challenge.

He also said he could help with any "injury, motivation, or mental issues I may have." How lovely to offer full coaching services, but since I'd like to maintain a bit of professional respectability around here, I'll probably temper the crazy and just stick to the numbers.

He's a friend and he says he's willing to take it all on, but as I've documented, I'm a bit of a handful. And to be honest: I don't think he's ready for this jelly.

39 comments:

Mica said...

That's so awesome! Whoa, I wish a running coach would just serendipitously enter my life!

I'm excited to see what stuff he has you doing. Keep reporting!

Aron said...

very cool!!! that is so awesome he is doing that :)

BeachRunner said...

A plan. A coach. How awesome! He sounds like a dweeb sent from heaven...

...Or he is a crazy, stalker dweeb sent from HELL.

Just kidding. Seriously. It is really cool how as runners we can easily meet fellow runners who share a real sense of charity, community and camaraderie. Way to go. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

that's very awesome! Hope it works out well for you!

RunningLaur said...

He sounds like every engineer I know (including me!). It's all about thdnumbers and planning and math. One day, when I have enough experience tone able to bestow it on others, i'd do the same thing.

I hope the plan works out for you!

RunningLaur said...

Wow, and apparently engineers can't type either. Sorry about that!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great arrangement. Hope it works out for you. :-)

Razz said...

awwww...look. you're making friends!

RunToTheFinish said...

wohooo!! I have never ever followed a plan either and am really glad I finally got a coach because I am the person who will try to follow their plan...but wouldn't just do it on my own.

raulgonemobile said...

That is really cool.. I like your attitude towards running too.. I sometimes wish I could just run and not worry about how long, how far, pace, etc.

Denise said...

You have a great attitude about running!

I want a coach! It sounds so fancy!!

Anonymous said...

So cool! Let us know what he comes up with. I loooove planning. I would volunteer to coach people but I feel I have no credibility. ;)

Michelle Simmons said...

That's awesome you've got a coach! Better when you are reporting to someone other than just yourself. I bet you see some big improvements!!

joyRuN said...

Whoa! A coach out of the blue who's a math fanatic. Sweet :)

Jamie said...

that's very cool. can't wait to hear how it is having a coach!

No Longer Using said...

awesome!!!!!! i want to see what he comes up with!!! :)

Marlene said...

No way! I wish a running coach would stumble into my life like that. Can't wait to hear what he has in store for you.

Unknown said...

That sounds great. I think it will be interesting to see what he comes up with for you after all of you guidelines.

MCM Mama said...

Cool! I'd love to have a coach show up in my life!

Marathon Maritza said...

Cool! How nice to get an offer like that!

And I cracked up at 'I don't think he's ready for this jelly.' You're hysterical LOL

J said...

Wow thats totally cool that he has like formulas and stuff! Awesome!

Jess said...

Very very cool to have someone make you a customized plan!

Lindsay said...

is your body too bootylicious? is that what you are trying say? :) lol

how cool! i hope he is able to help. i'm glad SOMEONE is in the same boat as me in the whole didn't-really-train-for-my-first marathon situation. you'll figure it out eventually, only took me 5 tries! lol

rr said...

Yea for a coach! Your comment to me about clutching the stop sign had me cracking up.

You can take that 4 min off no problem with a plan.. and yeah, intervals are awful.. but they do the trick!

Have a great weekend

I Run for Fun said...

That's so great. A full-service coach! Have a blast!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

He also said he could help with any "injury, motivation, or mental issues I may have."

SWEET! Now's the time to hit him with, "Well ... I'm kinda into necrophilia - but I'm not ready to give it up yet."

Then wait a beat and add: "You're kinda cute. Were you ... um ... planning on dying any time soon? Because if so, here's my cell number ..."

Natalie D said...

that's awesome about the coach. kind of worked out since you missed the other free thing!

kristen said...

So cool. I can't wait to hear what he has planned for your, "expressive, extrovert, marketing self."

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. I wish I worked with someone who could give me some tips!

SuperDave said...

I can't believe that you don't run by a plan. You got some secret mad skillz that we don't know about? Cuz your running is top notch.
A coach! alright!

Abby said...

So cool!

I'm excited to read where the plan takes you.

Marcy said...

OMG HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA I LOVE the last line
"I don't think he's ready for this jelly."

Ohhh that just made my day. Too funy!

Felice Devine said...

Maybe I need to leave the house so I could happen upon a coach!

Very cool. Can't wait to read how it goes!

Tammy said...

Talk about stumbling into that one!

Hope it works well, and you don't actually have to do any of the number tracking stuff yourself.

ShirleyPerly said...

How exciting! In order to have a coach, I became one myself. In many ways I think it's better to have someone who's not as biased :-)

Good luck!

Hone said...

You are all set for success!!

Brian said...

Thats awesome that he is taking the time to coach you, there are a ton of nice people out there, just gotta put yourself out there!

Hope the training plan starts out awesome!

Clare said...

i love your training plan...or lack thereof. it sounds FUN, which is the whole point, no? neat to see if you like more structure from your coach or not...but good luck beating 4 hours, that's my goal too, so close yet...

RooBabs said...

I'm still laughing at picturing you hanging out with nerdy architects and engineers. I'm sure you light up their day. I personally tend toward their analytical, number-loving geekiness. I don't understand how you can run without a plan and a watch, LOL.

Good luck! Hopefully his formulas work out for you.