Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fla-Vor-Ice and racin' hos

I got a ton of great advice about my plantar fasciitis questions earlier this week. I already implemented some of the suggestions and am optimistic that things will feel better soon. One mistake I won't make again is forgetting to ice. After tonight's quick and steamy run I opened the freezer to get out my frozen gel packs.

Nothing.

The Husband packed them into the cooler and took them over to a buddy's house. (What nerve. Salmonella shmalmonella.) Finding a baggie and waiting for crushed ice seemed like too much work, so I searched for a ready-made alternative. Something moldable, non-crushable, and reusable.

Boom! Fla-Vor-Ice!
I couldn't tell you the last time I had a Fla-Vor-Ice, so I shudder to think how long these have been in there. Eh, sugar water probably has a pretty long shelf life. Anyway, it worked perfect to ice my feet. Yay for ingenuity.

Shifting gears entirely, I decided I'm a racin' ho these days. If you have a race over 5 miles near me, I'll apparently sign up. Doesn't matter the cause or cost, I give you money and you give me a race shirt. I signed up for one more, so come Saturday, it will have been a race 5 of the last 8 weekends. (1, 2, 3, and 4.)

The small town I live near is hosting their annual 5 mile run during the weekend celebration, and it just made too much sense. There will never be a closer race to my house, and it supports the library. I'm anxious to test Garmie for a full race, and I really want a better 5 mile PR.

The plan is to run, shower, and go back to bed. There's a street dance and beer garden at night, and I need to be firing on all cylinders for that.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

42 comments:

Maggs said...

Hope the PF gets better. I had it for a while many years ago and it sucked. Ice, time off and sleeping in a 'boot' worked for me.

Anonymous said...

Excellent work pulling a MacGyver with the fridge content. Even if the sugar water has passed its expiry date, it's still safe to use on the heel.

I look forward to reading about your Garmin experience in the races (and go get that 5Miles PR!)

Lindsay said...

i think we all 'ice' with abnormal food products, whatever works!

you are quite the racing machine! good luck, get that 5mi pr :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

May I. as a librarian. just say: Thank You for supporting your library!

As a connoisseur of Fla-Vor-Ice may I say:

YOU MONSTER!1!

You put that innocent Fla-Vor-Ice on your FEET?!1?

That's it! You're on the list! I'm letting the Fla-Vor-Ice people know about this!

P.S. If you're not gonna eat those F-V-I's, can I have them?

Anonymous said...

Seeing those fal vor ice pops brought me back about 20 years!! Everyone had them in their freezer growing up in RI. Good luck this weekend, I am sure you will rock it.

Oz Runner said...

good idea on the flavor ice, i'll have to remember that....and have a great race this weekend

Marlene said...

Very innovative with the freezies!

I'm a racin' ho too except that almost every race has been an hour drive or more from home! If there was one on my doorstep, I'd be all over it! Have fun and go get that PR!

Unknown said...

I've also used bags of frozen peas or corn. Lots of amazing things to be found in the fridge!

RunningLaur said...

Hope the foot gets better!

Street dance and beer garden, I'd be all over that. I love being a race whore.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad you got some good advice. have fun this weekend at the race! Hope the PF cooperates :)

joyRuN said...

Good luck & have fun this weekend!

My work schedule keeps getting in the way, otherwise, I'd be a racin' ho too!!

Heather said...

Good use of the old stuff in your freezer! Have fun this weekend. I love small town races. .

Jess said...

I love Flavor-Ice! But only the red ones. That's why Jerry won't buy them anymore because then he's stuck with the orange, blue, etc.

Jeri said...

Oh man, those freezies don't last long at my place! Yummy. :) Good luck on the fiver!

Anonymous said...

OK, you are frickin' brilliant!

raulgonemobile said...

Oh, I haven't had one of those in soooo long. I saw them at the grocery store, but they were in a pack of 100. I mean, they're good, but I don't want to feel obligated to finish the remaining 90.

Good luck at the race this weekend!

Shannon said...

Ah, the many uses for Fla-Vor-Ice. NICE! :)

Maybe I'll see ya Saturday...doing (probably walking!) the 2 mile @ the 'B-DAZE'. ;)

Mica said...

Ahh, fla-vor-ice for icing! I love it!!

B.o.B. said...

Hmmm fla-vor-ice sounds like a good idea actually. You could wrap a bunch of those bad boys together and ice your whole body. Not that I'd do that....

Anonymous said...

Good thing they weren't popsicles! Perfect.

Have fun at the five miler. I am really liking the sound of "street dance and beer garden"...

Tammy said...

Great ingenuity with the Fla-vor-ice.

I've always been a race ho. I run at least 1-2 races a month all year long. During the spring and summer, it's unusual for me to go a weekend without a race.

Jamie said...

Even though the flav or ice have been near your feet I still want one. they are covered in plastic, it's all good ;)

Good luck with the race this weekend!

N.D. said...

oh flavor ice. I remember mile 23ish of boston I was starving and someone had these and I grabbed one. So refreshing.

B. Kramer said...

Whoever bites into the next flava ice is going to get a nasty whiff of swamp foot. Good luck at the race. Cheers.

Mark said...

Clever, indeed, but I think that warrants some sort of warning label on the icey treats. I pity the fool that is savoring the flavor of a delicious cherry Fla-Vor-Ice on a hot July day when all of a sudden they catch a whiff of that frozen foot sweat starting to thaw on the outside of the wrapper - you know, the one they've got their mouth wrapped around. ewwwwww. Kudos on putting your feet first though - I'd have done the same thing.

Midwest said...

Frozen peas are my drug of choice. And as a bonus, none of us like frozen peas, so they are not at risk of being eaten.

Stuart said...

Freeze a styrofaom cup of water and rub it on like a deodorant, then peel away the cup as it melts...lovely!

Stuart said...

Oh and foam roll your calf if you PF is tight it can be because your slaves are too tight

Niki said...

Go you!! Signing up for all thoses races! Your awesome:) Hope your PF stops acting up!

Being Robinson said...

oooo O...M....G. the race i'm doing tomorrow supports a small town library too! eerie! good luck!

That Pink Girl said...

Flavor ice is too cute! I have a bag of corn in the freezer designated "not to eat" that serves the same purpose! Good luck in your race!!!

Nicole said...

if i had a dollar for how many of those flavorice popscicles my boyfriend ate, id be a millionare. he LOVES those things. HAHAHAHA

glad you got your foot iced. good luck at your race this weekend!!! :)

Felice Devine said...

Have fun in the race -- and at the beer garden!

Amy said...

Racin' ho! I'm jealous...I haven't raced in well over a month!

Let us know how racing with the Garmie works. I haven't done that yet.

Loooove Fla-Vor-Ice. Did you eat one while icing your foot?

Abby said...

Ha, this is great. Haven't seen these in forever.

beth said...

keep on sluttin' around the race scene! i'm the same way. and that's because racing is FUN!!!

love the flavor ice packs. classic.

Denise said...

Flavor ice is actually a great idea!! I've been in the mood to race a ton lately and I can't with the ultra training. Can't wait to be a racing ho again!

Erika said...

Glad the flavor ice came in handy. I love to race as well, just don't have enough free time to race all the races near me.

MCM Mama

C said...

I miss FlavorIce so much. That and the sugar rush it gave me. Ah, memories...

ShirleyPerly said...

Hee, we have a reuseable ice pack that looks a lot like a blue Flavor Ice thingy (and probably works just as well!).

Good luck on your 5-miler!

I Run for Fun said...

Hope the PF just goes away. Keep icing and stretching!

The Laminator said...

Yay, someone is actually racing more than me these days. Hopefully, your 5 miler turned out awesome. You deserve a nice PR!