Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lincoln Marthon Race Report

The short version:

I ran the half (at 1:57:30ish) instead. Half because I got busted for running bandit and half because I wasn't feeling up to it.

The long version:

Since I spent the entire day before the race working, we didn't make it into Lincoln until almost dinner time. I was bummed to miss the expo, but we made it to packet pick up and over to the husband's friend's house in time for a yummy grill out. Made it to bed pretty early.


On the morning of the race, I woke up to a snotty nose, screaming headache and a wheezy chest. Turns out, the husband's cold from the week before had inexplicably hopped to me. (Well... not so inexplicable since I'm up on him like a spider monkey most of the time. I require a lot of affection.)

I drugged up anyway and got ready. The weather was predicted to be perfect, so I focused on that and tried to stay positive. The first task (and the one proved most difficult) was picking up the lovely Laura from Absolt(ly) Fit , in town from NYC. This chick is awesome. Unfortunately, I managed to get lost on the way to her hotel, showed up late, nearly got in a wreck, and babbled incessantly the entire time. I apologized on behalf of Nebraska.

We dropped off our stuff and headed toward the start line. (Notice the different colored bibs? Hmmm.)

We parted ways, and the gun went off. I'm a little biased, but I think this race is fantastic. The crowd support is great; the course is flat, well-marked, and interesting; and the water stations have cups with lids. Lids! You know how much easier it is to drink on the move with lids? Yay Lincoln!

My pace was more than a little erratic since I can't pace on feel with that much excitement going on around me. At some point around mile 3, I went flying past some couple:

Girl: What's our pace?
Guy: 8:30.

Damn. My goal was 9 min miles. I tried to slow down, but then I'd space out and just cruise along with the crowd much faster than planned. Something I clearly need to work on.

Fast-forward to the half/full split at about mile 12.75. It's very clearly marked who goes where, but since my bandit-bib was only for the half, I choose not see the giant sign.

I cruised into the 13.1 water station and was greeted by a lovely volunteer. The conversation basically started with,

"oops, looks like you (and your blue number) missed the turn- this is the full course..."

and ended with

"...because I'd hate to see you banned from future LTC races."

I thought about calling his bluff and trudging on, but after originally deciding not to do the marathon, my heart never really got back in it when I found out I could. Plus, I'd have no problem fake-naming it forever, but "Sarah" might not appreciate the blackball. At that point, the drugs were wearing off and I decided to call it a day. I slowly made my way back to the finish line and collected my half marathon medal.

A couple hours later, I watched Laura cross the finish line in very impressive fashion. (Check out her blog when she posts the race report.) She had a flight to catch, so the husband and I quickly threw her at her hotel and made our way home.

I was pretty disappointed to not run the full, but doing the half was the right thing. I had 10-12 hours of work Sunday-Wednesday, and I was officially a snotty, hacking, probably swine flu mess by the time we got home. I'm still not 100% better, but the coughing fits are less frequent, at least.

I'm thinking of running another half some time this spring/summer to see what my real time would be, but for now, I'm in a good space to just run to run. For now, I have a million other race reports and blogs to catch up on, so I'll just live vicariously through you all. Spring is here, and it's my most favorite time of the year to run for the enjoyment of it all.

41 comments:

Chic Runner said...

bahahhahahaha I Can't believe they caught you! How sketchy! :( Bummer but you did the right thing by pulling out when you were sick. Hope you feel better soon, and you'll be able to run another full soon too! :)

No Longer Using said...

oh my!! that is DRAMA like johnny drama at his finest. lol. ohhhhh man. that is awesome you got laura to the race, hahaha "i apologize on behalf of nebraska" hehehehe. good race! sorry about the half-issues, but hey you still got a good half in! :)

maria khoury said...

wow ive never heard of anyone getting in trouble for running bandit. its pretty funny. all things considered, great race!

Heather said...

Those were some hardcore race volunteers - taking their job seriously! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Lids on the cups!?! It was nice of the volunteer to inform you that you were off course, however I am surprised she said you would be banned!

Hope the snotty nose goes away. I suffered from the same symptoms last week. Great picture by the way.

Marlene said...

No way! Too funny... sorry you didn't get to run the full, but might not have been the best idea if you were (are) sick anyway. Get well soon!

That's a great race pic, btw!

Amy said...

Wow, I can't believe that person said that to you! Man, that was rough!

But you made the right decision, being sick and all.

Nicole said...

If i had a dollar for everytime someone told me to tell them the short version, id be a millionaire! why dosent anyone ever want to hear the story? HA HA

Bummer you didnt get to run the mary but if you were sick it was smart of you to pull out! Feel better soon & great job hun!

Anonymous said...

That's kinda disappointing, but nice job on running the half, swine flu and all, and that was super sweet of you to stick around and watch Laura finish and give her a ride to and from her hotel.

At least your race photos turned out good!

Anonymous said...

It's so cool that you tried to do the whole. Pity it didn't work and pity that the organization folks threatened to be so strict. Shouldn't races be all about being sportsmanlike?

Ace said...

As has been said, sorry the marathon didn't work out for you. Grats on doing the half. The half is more than the none? More running to come!

Jess said...

Haha wow I can't believe you got caught either! Oh well! Hope you're feeling better soon!

RunningLaur said...

That's one hard core volunteer! Congrats on making it through the run - I'd totally had wimped out being sick.

So cool that you got to meet Laura too!

kristen said...

I can't belive someone actually threatened to blackball you. How weird. Seriously, if someone has the balls to run a marathon - let me. Jeez.

Glad you got to at least do the half and it sounds like it was probably for the best.

Aron said...

haha well at least the race is memorable right?! sounds like it worked out ok since you werent feeling well. hope you are feeling better soon!!

and seriously i want lids!

Cindy said...

i didn't know they would be so strict! that's a bummer, girl. but you ran a good hm and look good in all your pics!

N.D. said...

That sucks they are so strict, what the hell!! But it sounds like it was meant to be. THat is a great half!!

RunToTheFinish said...

waaahhhh I've never heard they would ban you from a race for doing more than you signed up to do...strange

but hey way to go and way to support a fellow bloggie!

Marcy said...

Holy crap! I can't believe they busted you! Seriously has anyone else around here been busted? But good for you for trying!

Felice Devine said...

Now, I wonder what would have happened, had you been wearing your sweatbands? I bet the vols wouldn't have even noticed your bib.

Jess said...

Caught blue-bibbed!

But congrats on a great HM!

J said...

That totally stinks they caught you!!! You look great in the photos though! Hope you feel better soon - I am still trying to get over my cold and this coughing just lingers a little and seems to get worse when I run : (

Great job on the half!!

Abby said...

I laughed out loud when I read this. That's too funny about the renegade volunteer (in a seriously frustrating way).

Way to pull it out, stuffy nose and all. Brent was sick all last week and I avoided him like the plague (or, more precisely, he graciously avoided me so as not to jeopardize the marathon). Two minutes after I crossed the finish line, I gave him a big kiss - didn't matter if I got swine flu at that point!

Mica said...

Love that you ran it as a bandit. So badass!

The Laminator said...

Man...that sucks they didn't let you at least try the full...but I think you did your body smart by cutting it short and doing the half instead of full. You need to recover from your sickness and super long work days. Glad you got to meet someone from my neck of the woods and show her some Nebraska hospitality. Good job all around.

Oz Runner said...

they'd really ban you? wow....hope you're feeling better

joyRuN said...

With those bibs, it would've been very hard to sneak past the half finish :)

LOL!

Shannon said...

Your a cutie with balls, and I dig that. First, you're so cute I want to pinch your cheeks (the "other ones") and second, bandit racing is ballicious!

Way-to-go-girlie......

C said...

Damn it, that sucks that they caught you. At least you have victory in the humiliation challenge as consolation. :)

Denise said...

Damn volunteers!! Just kidding. Sounds like you made the right decision. Hope you're feeling better.

Loved the spider monkey comment...too cute.

M2Marathon said...

Damn Nebraskans going around with their stinking "honesty" all the time. That's one hard-core volunteer; but I bet the full probably costs more to register?And they don't want everybody paying for the half and runnng the full, lest they lose money... But at least you had a good race, in spite of the minor annoyances! Way to go!

Brooke said...

wow...I am surprised anyone said anything! Great job on the half and maybe it was meant to be...hope you're feeling better!

Tammy said...

That is crazy that the volunteer said that!

Great job on the Half, anyhow. And, hope you're feeling better soon!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sucks that you got busted, but not worth banning your friend, or getting more sick, but great job on the race! :D

ShirleyPerly said...

Well, since you were sick too perhaps the best thing was to run the half. Sometimes things like that happen for a reason, it seems. Get better soon!

Jamie said...

wow I'm surprised you got busted! I never think anyone pays attention to that! but it sounds like it was for the best. Great job on the half!

And seriously lids!?!? That's the coolest thing ever. all race directors need to consider that!

I Run for Fun said...

Great race, especially when you were so sick! I would've just stayed home. Hope you feel better soon!

RoadBunner said...

Did you know you were getting a half bib? I can't believe a VOLUNTEER busted you!? But, I think it all worked out well since you were sick. I would have been like you and called it quits for sure!!

Lindsay said...

bummer dude. but probably for the best since you had that funk going on. you weren't really a bandit since you paid for your spot, but i wouldn't have wanted to find out if they'd really ban you in the future. you can still return for the full next year. love the action shots! hope you are feeling better!

raulgonemobile said...

Wow.. too bad the volunteers are crazy enforcers. :(

Nice job on the half though, especially being sick and all

Melissa Marie Head said...

That is hilarious about the comment. My brother was a bib bandit like yourself and wanted to run the full not half but backed out as didn't want to get in trouble.

I do agree with you about the race though, I loved the atmosphere with all the supporters and the awesome water cups with straws!