Thursday, April 28, 2011

Well, at least I'm properly tappered

My 24 day training plan for Sunday's half marathon was a bit of a mixed bag.  I ran an 8 miler that seriously kicked my ass.  Granted it was a freak day that was easily 25 degrees warmer than any run this year, but bad things happened. It was one of those runs where everything, aside from injury, that can go wrong, does.  ::shudder:: 

I rallied the next weekend for an amazing 10 miler though.  Everything was perfect, and I was flying.

Aside from that run, well, it's been pretty sparse.  Blah blah blah, don't want to take the boys in the wind/rain, blah blah blah, easter travels, blah blah blah.  My legs will be fresh on Sunday, if nothing else. That and I've lost five pounds to get back down to my training weight.  Holla for a free 2:18!

So instead of stressing over how under-trained I am for this, I've elected to obsess over other things.
  1. The weather- 40s at race start, sunny, minimal wind- YES PLEASE
  2. My outfit- Tank?  Maybe?  I need to take note of the weather some morning at 6:00-7:00ish because god knows I'll be up. FYI: babies get up at the same damn time every morning. 
  3. Will the new shoes I've ordered arrive in time- Smart, no?  I even called the company to see how long shipping would take (usually 3 days) and the cost of changing to overnight ($20+).  I opted to roll the dice on the original shipping method.  Diapers and daycare ain't cheap.
I don't have any specific goals in mind, but I would like to beat my last half marathon time. That's my only post-babies half.  Since I don't feel like I can use "pregnancy recovery" as an excuse, I need to keep improving every race.  (Although, I'll sandbag that I was running a ton more back then.)

Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend.  Woo hoo!  Yay spring!

Oh, and here's some cutie Easter pics.

The was the extent of our egg hunt.

Our little one was all about it, but his brother forgot he hates grass.  Poor peanut.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Good luck with the race, I'm sure the extra rest will leave you fresh and ready to run! Super cute family picture. :)

Melissa Marie Head said...

Love the Easter pics! I bet you'll do great at the race. I am afraid its going to be a little cold. Our group has matching purple tank tops to wear but I think I need a long sleeve shirt under?

Indi said...

Great Easter pictures!! Good Luck with the race!! Go out, enjoy and run a great race!!

Marlene said...

The easter pics are great! Your boys are adorable.

Good luck at the half and way to go on 5 more lbs! You rock, girl!

Erika said...

Good luck with the race! I know how it feels to be "undertrained" but I love your outtake on it!
I can't believe how big your boys are getting...and they are so adorable!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

SOOO CUTE!! Good luck!! I need to add you to the High Five list.. I am sure you will rock it out..

HUGS!!

Anonymous said...

Those boys are too cute- looking forward to hearing about how the race went! I am sure you rocked it!

Jess said...

Hope the race went well!!