Sunday, September 26, 2010

Omaha HM race report

As this weekend approached, I honestly questioned what the hell I was thinking signing up for a half marathon 11 weeks after having twins. I don't sleep anymore, I constantly forget to eat, and everything on me aches from picking up babies and sitting on the floor all day. Last week's 10K gave me confidence, but 13.1 is quite a bit further.

But at $70, there was no turning back. I honestly had one goal: beat my first half marathon time of 2:10:53 from back in 2008. That seemed doable. My awesome parents had offered to watch the boys over night, so I was beyond thrilled to be getting more than 3 hours of sleep for the first time in 11 weeks. The Husband made dinner, so I had sleep and food covered.

Pre-race

I was super late getting to the start line. I'll spare you the details of why it took me to long to get out of the house, but the words, "I didn't pump overnight and REALLY should have" were involved.

The start gun went off while I was climbing a fence, jumping active railroad tracks, and weaving around cows. Seriously. Cows in a parking lot. Only in Nebraska.

The race

The plan was to keep a 9:30 pace to allow for probably walking toward the end. I'd only done one very sketchy 10 mile training run, so I knew I was in questionable shape. The first 6 miles were all sub-9:00. I assumed there was not only walking in my future, but also potential puking and probably crying.

But I kept plugging along and eventually calculated (barring a meltdown) I could easily make my 2:10 goal. Then around mile 10, I got greedy and thought I could do sub-2. It would be close, but it was doable if I pushed.

I'll spare you the suspense, but I didn't quite make sub-2. Those last three miles were honestly the most painful and miserable steps I've ever taken. My mind was screaming at my legs and they were dying.

Final: 2:00:58
Pace: 9:13/mi

Post-race

Three words: Marines and medals. Well played, race directors. Very well played.

I gathered some food and slowly limped back to my car past the cows, beyond the railroad tracks, and over the fence. Again. While I was disappointed that I didn't make my on-the-fly New Goal, I was thrilled to have done as well as I did. One of my biggest fears about having twins is that I wouldn't be able to do things like this for quite some time. But thanks to my fantastic mom who watches the boys while I run, I'm back baby!

After a quick shower and breakfast, my parents brought the boys home where I gobbled them up with hugs and kisses. Their first slumber party was a success for everyone, and I can't wait until they can come watch me race some day. I'm pretty proud of how far the boys and I have come in the last year. From here:

(Council Bluffs 5k at 28 weeks)

To here: (And for the record, CPS, The Husband took this picture.
I didn't attempt my usual corner self-portrait with two squirmy babies.)

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you mean to tell me you forgot to turn the pump in your basement on? Do they even have basements in Nebraska? No matter - awesome race!

Melissa Marie Head said...

I am VERY impressed!!! You are a rock start. I have not had a single child and my time was 2.10 - geesh I feel pathetic now! You look great by the way.

Indi said...

Umm...impressed does not cover what you just did! Freaking awesome is the word..or two! seriously fantastic work and I'd be happy for that pace right noe!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

GOOD WORK Speedy, you have not lost a step, sounds like you GAINED a few steps.. hugs!

Amy said...

Girl, you're insane!!! That's unbelievable.

RunningLaur said...

Fantastic job at the race. Still can't believe you have two little guys and do what you do :)
And that medal is darn sweet!

Jen Feeny said...

And this is why you are my hero. Spike and I were just discussing this weekend how awesome you are and how quick you bounced back from the pregnancy! Seriously, when I get preggers some day you are my total inspiration. :) Congrats girl! You absolutely ROCKED it!

Angela and David said...

Awesome job Mommy!

Mark said...

Oh so close to that on-the-fly goal. Still a mighty fine effort if you ask me. You know, especially since you destroyed your original goal....and just shot a couple of cantaloupe-sized objects out of your vag just 11 weeks ago. Well done.

Running and living said...

I was behind, just got caught up. You are looking and doing amazing! And that 10K, wow!

RunToTheFinish said...

wohooo way to go on pushing through! after giving birth to two babies, I bet those last three miles were easier than some other races when you didn't know what your body could do

Jamie said...

Incredible! You rocked that 1/2! Congrats!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Okay, that's it. I've gotta quit reading your blog. You make me feel really bad about myself. HA!

Congrats on an awesome finish time! And your ninos are getting cuter by the post. :)

Nicole said...

NICE 1/2 marathon post baby! you are freaking amazing! i bet the boys were proud of their mama <3 you look great too!

J said...

You are super mom! Congrats on a great post pregnancy half marathon! Very well done!

fancy nancy said...

In a word...amazing! Way to go!

N.D. said...

great job! that's awesome!

That Pink Girl said...

You are amazing!!! Congratulations on a race well run!

RoadBunner said...

Holy cow. Congratulations!! You are seriously an inspiration.

Erika said...

i can't believe that you just had twins, seriously! you amaze me! way to totally rock it!

amy said...

Woah...that is soooo impressive!! You've got Guts and determination! Way to rock it!

MCM Mama said...

Holy crap, girl! You are amazing!!!

Oz Runner said...

great job on the race...you should get bonus points for having to hop the fence and dodge cows...

Denise said...

whoa!! GREAT job! those babies didn't set you back a bit! congrats!

No Longer Using said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!
congrats! that is some serious awesomeness right there. glad you had the night before "off" (omg i am never gonna be able to handle being a parent). and made it to the race (love the cows! lol!). and WOWWWWWWWWWWWW right on 2hrs... really impressive. way to go. and way to hang on when it got tough. 13.1 miles is a loooong way to go.

Whitney said...

You are a seriously an inpiration to pregnant women every where - especially me! Congrats on the AWESOME time!!

Aron said...

AMAZING job girlie!!! you are so awesome you are already out there running half marathons! i hope i can be like you when/if that day comes :)

Jeri said...

I was kicking myself for not signing up for that race. You ran so well, I'm in awe. the cutest thing in the world is when little kids hold signs for the parents on the race course. Can't wait until that's you. I always tear up, I'm such an emotional freak. :p

Jess said...

Man you rock! A PR and thisclose to breaking two hours in your come back race after having twins! Hot damn woman!!! You go!

Marathon Maritza said...

Dammmmnnnnnnnn girl! (earmuffs on the boys, sorry) You are back with a vengeance! Great job 11 weeks post-babies! Thanks for continuing to be such and inspiration

Spike said...

Morgan and I talk about how awersome you are all the time. This just proves it even more.

Anonymous said...

Congratulation, you are doing good, nice run there. I love the post so cool, it detailed every moment of the run. Nice!!!



zbsports

teacherwoman said...

Nice job! You have come so far and accomplished so much in the past year!

Unknown said...

wow! great job. makin' me feel all lazy... lol

Katie A. said...

Whoo hoo! You're such a rockstar! I'm so very impressed! Nice work out there!
And hot dang! Those babes are cute!

Anonymous said...

your pretty dang amazing, a half in 11 wks post kids?!? and you look skinnier than before you had kids!

chris mcpeake said...

congrats on a great race

OrangeBlossom said...

Great job on the race!! I hear ya on the pumping thing. First thing I pack for a race.

Beautiful babies!! We always have prayed for twins.

Kelly said...

WOW. That is ah-mazing. So in awe of you. I'm struggling here. Pregnant and not really really able to run. I think i'll be back a square one pretty soon. I'll just live vicariously through you I think. Wow.

Unknown said...

WOW! I can't imagine, you have to have a very strong will. Congrats on being back on your game!