Saturday, April 2, 2011

Race pic (and the post-baby body analysis that follows...)

(Warning: This post gets a little real. It's not bragging, it's not any serious issues, it's just me honestly babbling about me on my blog so I remember this time in my life. You can skip down to the cute baby pictures if you want.)

Here's the one decent pic from the Leprechaun Chase race. Scrolling through them all was a hoot. Some people took the costume assignment very serious.
Overall, I think it looks pretty cute. The horizontal socks were not kind to my giant calves, but I've taken much worse. It's better than when I wore this shirt five months pregnant last year. As I started combing over all the parts of my body that I liked and didn't like in the picture (you do it too, don't lie), I realize I'm coming up on nine months post-babies. They say "nine months on and nine months off" for baby weight, so I figured I'd report on my journey since I scoured the internet before and during pregnancy to get an idea of what would happen.

I've been active and thin my whole life, so "getting fat" was a major concern about pregnancy. It was okay since I had visions of being one of those tiny basketball-belly women who gain 20lbs, wear their regular clothes most of the way, never get a stretch mark, and lose it all right away. Finding out you're having twins is a mix of emotions. I cried one overwhelmed night early on that I didn't want to be a gigantic blimp.

I posted about my pregnancy journey from January to July last year including my "running pregnant philosophy". It was strange watching my weight go up and not be able to make it go back down. I was surprised how okay I was with it though. I was running as much as I could and eating as well as I could, so there was nothing more I could do about it. The bottom line is I ran until 33 weeks, started running 2.5 weeks post c/s, gained 34 pounds, never got a single stretch mark, and lost my goal before returning to work at 12 weeks. I intentionally held onto about 3-4 pounds while I was still nursing through the end of the year. My normal weight is on the low end of BMI normal, and I had enough supply issues as it was. They easily fell off once I stopped.

Would I wear a bikini today? Yes. Well, give me an hour to get a wax, shave my legs, and find a spray tan, but THEN, yes. I'm not as strong as I was before, but I will be this summer. I'm about the same size and shape though. Flat stomach, strong(ish) legs, and killer baby carrying arms. There's a number of factors that led to this.

Dumb luck

1. Time of year- I was pregnant and gave birth the perfect season for being active. No clue what I would have done had I had them in December.

 2. Retired mom- My mom would happily watch the boys while I ran in the middle of the day.

3. Genetics- I'm tall, fast metabolism, with stretchy skin, apparently.

4. Extremely easy babies- Well, I'm taking partial credit for this. I believe baby personalities are somewhat reflective of their parents. They never had colic or reflux or anything like that though.

 "Luck"... but not really

1. I only carried to 34.5 weeks before a false alarm IUGR c-section- Bad for my NICU babies, but it meant I didn't gain as much weight as full term.

2. Minimal chest growth- My small B's grew to small C's. I know some women get really big and painful while nursing. I struggled with production for two, but at least nothing leaked or hurt. (They've also shrunk back down to A's now. Not that I mind.)

 Things I earned

 1. I was extremely conscious what I ate before, during, and after pregnancy. Aside from the occasional cake craving, I'm very healthy. I don't do fast food. Ever.

2. I ran- It's my break. I don't need a glass of wine or a pedicure or a new pair of shoes as a treat. Running is my me time. All moms need something for themselves and that's mine. I'm still not running as much as I'd like, but I'm going enough. What I'm not running is because I "won't", not because I "can't".

3. I had a very easy pregnancy. Some of this was dumb luck, but I know a large part was because of 1 and 2 above.

I'm at my natural weight right now. Minus four pounds is my in-training weight. Minus five pounds is my marathon weight. Marathon weight was the skinniest I've ever been. Per everyone (including medical professionals), I was too skinny. But had I not been trying to get pregnant, I'd have stayed that size. I loved fitting into size 0 pants.

Baby weight and a post baby body is a very real struggle for many women. It was a huge source of anxiety for me. But every story is different. Maybe I was just really lucky or maybe I earned it. Probably a combination of both. We aren't having any more kids, so my pregnancy story has come to an end. A happy end.

 A large part of that is because of the motivation, support, and encouragement from blog land. Thank you all. And even if I wasn't the size I am today, these little peanuts would make very single ounce worth it.  
They're so much fun these days. Both are crawling and climbing on everything right now. It's wonderful to see them growing, but we had to get a new play yard. Apparently our house is a death trap. We call it baby jail. They are clearly not fans of baby jail.

25 comments:

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus} said...

Thanks for sharing your experience - and the adorable baby photos! The boys look so cute and happy :)

Steel Springs said...

It's good to hear that you're all doing well! The boys are adorable, as always.

Jess said...

You look great! And the boys are super duper cute!

Scarlett said...

Thanks for such an honest post!

Clare said...

i think it's good to analyze all that...i think you WERE lucky (especially about the grandma part...i wish i had had that!), but ALSO did everything right. and more importantly, still are.

Nicole said...

You look amazing after twins!! And your boys are adorable!!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Great post! As someone who has not gone down the baby route yet I always look on the bright side of how it can turn out afterward. Ie. Great shape, stronger arms, etc. that you mention.

Your story is definitely inspiration in that area!

P.S. Twins run in my Hubz family. :(

kristen said...

I enjoyed reading about your thoughts here. I'm glad you were able to bounce back so quickly. EVERY woman thinks about this kind of stuff. I think your right, it was a combination of good genes but also your desire to be healthy.

you look hot.

N.D. said...

You are AMAZING!! that you only gained 34 lbs with 2 babies - 2!! not 1! were running after 2.5 weeks post c-section!? and back out there w/ 2 of them. Seriously. What an inspiration!

I loved reading this -and how CUTE are they!! I am almost done nursing and from what I hear it sounds like I may be able to drop a couple of lbs. Last time I got pregnant before I was done nursing!

nikinikinine said...

Nik, I'm jealous! I went four weeks farther, and have the stretch marks to prove it. I had hoped a bikini would come after twins but the only 'kini I'll be rocking will start with the word "tank" :P

Honestly though, everything you said is true - it's part luck, part genetics and part good luck. And happy, good babies - that's not luck. That's good parenting :D

J said...

I hope I am as lucky as you when I have kids! I worry about the weight gain too because I have always been skinny and I am just scared of how my body will change.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Love your honesty... you look amazing and so do your little men..

Angela and David said...

I dropped the weight very easily after my pregnancy as well. I think being active during pregnancy and then getting back at it as quickly as possible is key, although I was much more chicken than you and didn't have the guys to run for about 5 weeks after my c-section. The doctor said my bowel could come out and that scared the be-jesus out of me. Now I hope it all happens as quickly if I get pregnant with a second.

I am envious you are done being pregnant. The boys look awesome. You are clearly doing things right!

Bob said...

Enjoy your children! We have 3 girls to keep us busy. And you look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

OMG- they are getting so big and ridiculously cute!

I think every woman is different- no need to justify anything you say :)

Melissa Marie Head said...

You look amazing and the babies are as cute as ever! I am impressed you got back so quickly to your pre-pregnancy weight. Great job!

fancy nancy said...

I loved reading this and am thankful for your honesty! You're amazing! Added bonus are the two most adorable boys!!!

Jen Feeny said...

This was a great post especially for those of us who worry about the same thing, getting bigger, when we finally do go down that road. I for one plan to use your story as motivation to stay active as much as possible throughout my future pregnancies. Thanks for sharing and love, love, love those two little hams! :)

German said...

Good for you! You seem to have it under control. Enjoy. You and your family look great.

Robin said...

You look fantastic! I am 5 months post-partum and have lost most of the 42 lbs I gained during pregnancy--with just one baby!! You took great care of yourself while pregnant and it shows!

Running and living said...

I enjoyed reading this. I think many times people blame genetics for weight issues post pregnancy, but you know what, every woman I know who struggle with weight is either eating crap/too much and/or not exercising. I was just like you, lost the weight easily, no stretch marks, etc, but I worked out during the pregnancy, ate well, and went back to working out quickly after my son was born. So happy things are going well for you! Well done!

Jess said...

I really loved reading this post because it was so honest. I think the idea of losing the body you've worked hard for and lived in your whole life until you get pregnant is something that a lot of women probably struggle with. I can only imagine how I'll react when the time comes for me to be a mom (Not for many year). I'm glad you're all doing well and the boys are super cute!

RunToTheFinish said...

seriously thanks for being so honest. I know it's not easy for everyone to lose the weight, but I think it's very fair for you to say hey here's how it is for me! and easy babies are just due to a great mom

Marlene said...

Having watched sooo many of my family members and IRL friends pack on the pounds during pregnancy and "struggle" to get back into shape (I question how hard they actually tried/how much they wanted to) and resigning themselves to "Mommy Bodies", it's so inspiring to read your story and know that it is absolutely possible to remain healthy and active during pregnancy (for twins, no less) and bounce back to your former fit and fabulous glory! BE PROUD! You deserve it!


P.S. I only hate you a little bit for being so tiny. Kidding... mostly. :)

Susan said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! Not that I'm having kids anytime soon, but the weight gain and everything associated with pregnancy (since I have stretch marks on my legs just from not being 16 anymore) makes me nervous. I've always been thin and even though the weight gain is normal, it still kind of freaks me out...I think some people are put off when women say that, but in a society where looks (and weight!) are valued, I think it's a totally normal thought process.

You look amaaaaazing post twins...with little cuties to boot!