Monday, September 20, 2010

Omaha CC 10K race report

I've never raced a 10K, so I knew regardless of how well I ran, it would be an instant PR. But I DID run well. Really well!

Pre-race:

The highlight of race morning was the fact that the boys slept a 5.5 hour chunk the night before. Granted last night was our worst night ever, but it was nice of them to sleep on race night.

Anyway, the morning was cold. Like, my car thermometer went from 71 in the garage to 49 in less than three miles. Oh, and it was raining. Awesome. I quickly found a parking space and met up with the dozens of work people for some pictures.

They set up the start with separate corals for seeded and non-seeded runners. It was a great idea since this race tends to have quite a few clueless walkers wearing jeans line up at the front.

The Race:

After hopping around to stay warm, the gun went off and away we went. I have to admit that I got a little emotional. I just felt like me again for the first time in almost a year.

Miles 1-3 flew by as I people-watched and enjoyed the morning. After the turn-around, things got a little more challenging since my pace was faster than I've ever run post-babies. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it up. (Hello positive split!) I did manage to spot a few friends, wave like a crazy person, and ride that smile to the finish.

Final: 51:47
Pace: 8:20/mi

I can not believe I ran it that fast. Seriously. My training runs have been at 900 degrees and among a million hills, but still. I was so damn proud of myself.

Post race:

I power-walked back to my car and took off for home in record time. The Husband always does great when he stays with the boys, but I missed all of them. Thankfully, the boys did perfect. I walked in the door to everyone in their jammies watching football pre-game together.


Best. Sunday. Ever.

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you. I think you ran that fast to get back to the kiddos. Maybe I should say "kiddos to you!"

Chelsea said...

Congrats! I'm really excited I found your blog. My husband and I want try to start our family this spring, and you are my hero for running during and getting back into running so quickly after pregnancy (with twins!).

Melissa Marie Head said...

That is amazing! Post babies you are still way faster than I! So proud of you.

Mark said...

I haven't even read it yet. You totally ripped off my race report format...didn't you!?!

Mark said...

Okay, now I read it :) Fantastic job! Very impressive. You should have worn a shirt that said "I just had twins. What's your excuse?" on the back so you could make guys like Razz feel crappy about themselves. Wow. This is like the good old days. Race reports from you. Me zinging Razz on your posts. It's been a long time!

Erika said...

Way to go with your super speedy time! That's some serious running! It's hard to believe you just had twins...you look amazing! The boys are still cute as ever:)

Jen Feeny said...

Holy smokes chica you killed it out there! Like for real! Congrats!!!

Clare said...

sweet. and you know, "positive splits" SOUNDS so...positive! i know what you mean about feeling like YOU again.

ym said...

Awesome job out there! That's a great pace post-babies (and even not post-babies if you ask me). :o)

Aron said...

wooo you did awesome girl! congrats :)

Unknown said...

You ROCKED it. Good job :-)

JojaJogger said...

Great job on the PR. Those boys are getting cuter and cuter!

Amy said...

You're INSANE!!!! Check you out!!!! I'm so impressed!

Karen said...

Great job on your race!!

Your boys are adorable. Good job on that too.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

I'm gonna be completely honest and tell you that you kinda make me a little bit sick. LOL And I mean that in the most jealous way possible!

Congrats on the race!

Nicole said...

NICE JOB on your race!!!! You nailed it sister!!! Those babies are so precious!!! They are so perfect and SO cute!!!

Katie A. said...

Whoo hoo! You did awesome! Great pace! I'm so very impressed :)
Love the jammie party waiting for you at home ;)

That Pink Girl said...

girl you are awesome! Way to bust out an amazing race!
And those boys just keep getting cuter and cuter, how is that possible???

MCM Mama said...

Wow! Great job! And thanks for the cute baby picture. ;o)

Jamie said...

you rocked that 10K! congrats girl!

Michelle Simmons said...

Fantastic! CONGRATS!!!

RunningLaur said...

Congrats on a fantastically speedy race! You're back!!

No Longer Using said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! you are already back in action and speeding through a 10k. niiiiiiicE!!!!! and omg can i get some of those pajamas?! :)

Indi said...

Holy crapola!! You should be damn proud of yourself! that is one seriously kick-ass comeback! Congrats!!

Marlene said...

AWESOME post-partum comeback to racing! Big congrats!!!

Perfect Sunday indeed. :)

J said...

Awesome job on the 10k!! You really rocked it!

RunToTheFinish said...

i can totally see where that would be emotional!! way to rock your first race back

ShutUpandRun said...

I'd run fast to get back to those gorgeous babies too.

GREAT job.

Denise said...

you are incredible! great job!!! all that running while you were about to pop paid off!! great job and i love the pre race pic of the boys.

BrianFlash said...

Great race!

That heat and humidity must not be so bad for training. For myself, I am amazed at how much of my speed showed up after slogging around in that crap this summer. Most of my relatively recent training runs were between 9 and 10 minute miles and then out of nowhere, a 5K PR!

Jess said...

Congrats to you on such a strong return to racing! It's like you were never even preggo with times like that!

Nitmos said...

If you'd have had three babies ten weeks ago, imagine how fast you'd have run it. Great job!

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a wonderful sunday indeed! Nice job on the 10K!

N.D. said...

you are awesome!!! amazing.

Mica said...

Wow! What an awesome 10K to signal your return to running. Congratulations!

The Boring Runner said...

Congrats!!

isn't that what everyone does with their babies? Dresses them up and watches espn gameday?

Abby said...

Sounds like you're officially back in action!

Anonymous said...

Post baby quickness with you!! Way to go! And as always, loving those photos!

Spike said...

Excellent race! More importantly, glad the boys have already started their formal football education.

Jess said...

Congrats on your awesome PR!

And I love the picture of the boys!

I Run for Fun said...

Wow! You are one super speedy mamma! Congratulations!!! And you look so great.