Friday, August 6, 2010

Make your own challenge

Today marks 4 weeks post-babies, and things continue to go wonderful. Some things are much harder than expected and others are much easier. We'll get it all figured out eventually. I positively love being a mother though. L O V E it.

On the running front, I'm still no-go for another couple weeks. I'm (mostly) complying. In the mean time, I walk. At exactly 2 weeks, we went on our first family walk.


We crawled over every bump and crack trying to be extremely careful. I think we went 1 mile in almost an hour.

After a few trips together, I got more confident with getting everyone out the door. Now, the boys and I go walking every morning. We still take our casual family walks in the evening, but the morning walk is time to work. I get fully ready like it's a run. Complete with Garmie, dryfit clothes, sunglasses, iPod, and we hit the hills.

Pushing a stroller, 2 car seats, and 2 growing babies (with slowly recovering abs) up hill is no joke. The final massive one before turning home is what I call Gage Hill. It's the hill I use to gage my daily improvement. On the first morning, it just about did me in. I was sweating, sucking air, and dramatically looking forward to it getting easier.

And today, 2 weeks later, it's noticeably easier. It's still not "easy", but it's easier. The countdown until Run Day is definitely on, but conquering new and different fitness challenges in the mean time has been kind of fun.

Thankfully, these cuties love our walks together. Watching them watch me is the best motivation in the world.

Luke:


Sam:

32 comments:

MCM Mama said...

You look wonderful, the babes are adorable, and you are doing a great job of getting back in shape in a smart way.

Keep up the awesomeness!

Denise said...

it's so great that you're back out there moving any way you can! you look great, too!!! keep it up and you'll be running up that hill in no time. AND it will be easy!

Melissa Marie Head said...

Precious little faces watching you! Amazing you are already out there walking - you are an inspiration.

Marlene said...

Awesome that you are getting out there with the family and seeing some improvements already. You'll be back to your running self in no time!

Thanks for the baby pics! So precious!!

Jamie said...

Fantastic you guys are moving on a regular basis. You'll be running with the boys in no time!

RunningLaur said...

Good to hear that you're moving well and everything is getting easier. Looks like you're going to be running all over with them like crazy!

Catching up with Jessica said...

all four of you look amazing...you are an inspiration!

Abby said...

Looks like you're doing a good job tiring them out!

Can't wait to read about the day Gage Hill becomes little more than a speed bump for you and the boys (and the stroller and the carseats... yeesh...):)

Unknown said...

You are doing great!

Melissa said...

Nice work! You look great pushing the double stroller :-)

We've settled into a similar schedule. I put on my running shoes and my garmin and head out walking in the morning, my workout for the day, and then at night the hubby and dog come along on an easy family walk. Isn't it nice to have something that feels like a workout eventhough you can't run quite yet?

You are going to be a monster running on the hills with all that heavy stroller pushing!

fancy nancy said...

You look GREAT and what little cuties you have!! There is no doubt that you will be back in action soon!

Ginny M said...

Such cute boys! Glad to hear you're enjoying the adventures of parenthood! And you should be so proud ... you REALLY don't look like you gave birth just 4 weeks ago -- with twins, no less. Amazing!

Erika said...

I seriously can't believe that you just gave birth to twins! You look great! And your boys are so handsome, too! I'm glad things are going so well:)

Jess said...

Walking is a great way to ease back to running in a slow, smart way! Great job!

Mica said...

Yay! A parade of babies and parents. I'm so glad to hear that you love being a momma'. It looks like you are taking to the role with flying colors!

(This is also a bit of a relief for me to read because motherhood terrifies me. It's great to read first hand about the things you are enjoying.)

Anonymous said...

I love when I see parents with babies on walks/runs! Keep up the great work and keep posting photos!!!

amy said...

Love those pics. What an inspiration you are!! Truly amazing!!

joyRuN said...

I always loved the walks with my kiddos when they were little. Very awesome!

Heather said...

You look so great - way to get out and walk lots. I walked a ton in the weeks before I could start running after having Sophie and it was a good way to work back into it AND to keep the post-baby mental illnesses at bay. :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

So Glad you love love being a Mommy. My goodness you look AMAZING!! Those boys are too cute.

Nicole said...

you look absoutley amazing nikki! i am so happy for you and your family! great job on rocking it!!! so excited to see more pics of these little guys!

Anonymous said...

you look amazing!
your boys are so cute!
i'm so glad you love being a mommy. i am still surprised at how much i love being a mama too... and if you think it's awesome to have your little babies watching you now - just wait until they are cheering you across the finish line at races. It is my most favorite thing about racing as a mom. my 2 year-old yelling at me to "come on mama - i want to go to Boston!" as i was feeling so tired at mile 24 is one of my most favorite moments ever!
enjoy your family!

Alisa said...

Cuteness!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear about run day when you get to run!

N.D. said...

ahhh they are so adorable! you look fantastic and I love your routine!

Nicole said...

Love your pics of the family walk! Don't worry, once you are able to switch over from the double snap n' go to the BOB, it'll be much easier to push those two cuties!! :)

You're doing awesome!

Susan said...

Congrats to you for getting out there and getting back into it. Cute boys too, of course!!

Jess said...

You're going to be in good shape when you're allowed to start running again from all the stroller pushing!

Being Robinson said...

such sweet babies you have, nicely done! and you're amazing already walking with both of them everyday, when you start running again you are so going to kick some ass. and look good doing it too! enjoy those precious boys, they are adorable!

Lindsey said...

Your babies are so beautiful, and you look fantastic. And I had a laugh at your husband pushing the stroller, He looks about 2 feet too tall to be pushing it, lol.

Katie A. said...

I know I'm late to the party, but you look fabulous! So very cool you're enjoying it all ;)

By the time Run Day comes, you will be in great shape - I can't imagine pushing all that weight! Congrats girlie!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great challenge!!! I guess the babies will become a good runners too!!!

zbsports