Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"Thank you! Your registration is complete."

That right-- mama's racing on Sunday!

Well, technically, I'm "racing" on Sunday. As in, "there will be a race taking place and I will be participating in it." After getting approval from The Husband, my doctor, and my enabling Running Buddy, I pulled the registration trigger.

I'm not racing other people or the clock or even myself, but I'll have a number pinned to my (very large) front and plan to hopefully cross the finish line of an official 5K race, so it counts as racing.

Last year I spent many long runs daydreaming about being pregnant and the type of mom I wanted to be some day. Running has been and will continue to be a very large part of that. Twins have altered a few things about this experience, but racing while pregnant is just something that's always meant something to me. No matter how long it takes me to finish, I want to set an example for my children about healthy living from day 0.

Now the real dilemma: WHAT DO I WEAR? I've been wearing one of my old, over-sized race shirts on my evening runs. My prenatal cradle shows out the bottom, but I don't really care. I DO care just a little bit for a race with real runners and pictures though.

This 5K is part of the CB half marathon festivities I ran last year. I thought about wearing my usual race uniform since the top is a pink Nike tunic, quite long, and fairly loose on the bottom. Just for the hell of it, I tried it on last night and took an honest spin in front of the mirror.

View from the back: Not Pregnant

View from the front: Unremarkably Pregnant

View from the side: Whoa!Shit! Pregnant

Which isn't really surprising since my stomach is measuring almost full term for someone with one baby. I think the Whoa!Shit! view might freak some people out that I'm a threat to give birth right on the course. (And the course ran through a trailer park last year, so I agree we should avoid that.)

It pains me to say this, but I may have to race in a cotton, mango, Liz Lange maternity tank top from the clearance rack at Target. I know, it hurts just to type it. They just don't make maternity dry fit on the cheap. Hopefully wearing Garmie keeps a little bit of runner street cred.

Legit apparel or not, I'm racing on Sunday! Watch out slow runners/fast walkers of the Council Bluffs 5K, my mango tank top-covered giant tummy and I are COMING FOR YOU!

56 comments:

Aron said...

woo hoo!!! have fun out there!!

Jamie said...

Awesome! Have fun and good luck finding a race top!

Georgia Snail said...

You are a shoo in for a podium placement for the "Running for 3" catagory...

Angela and David said...

Have fun! I can't wait to hear the comments you get when you are passing people.

Heather said...

No matter what you where, awesome! Have a great time and take lots of pictures. :)

Whitney said...

This is so awesome! Good luck with the race! If you are running while measuring full-term, then I should be able to run until at LEAST 7-8 months, right?
I'm only 13 weeks now, and am racing on Saturday. :)

Running and living said...

so the ninos are running their first race, how exciting! and think about it, finally you'll be able to wear the oversized Tshirt that you get at 5Ks. win, win!

Marlene said...

It must feel good to have a race on the schedule! Rock that contton mango tank top - do what you need to do and have fun! You are awesome!

Tri Mommy said...

Have a great time racing! You may get some comments because of your twin belly (I know I used to and that was just walking around), but be proud of that baby belly!

C said...

I was born in CB! Make it a triple threat and start jogging there near your due date. :D

Anonymous said...

Love this post! It's great that you can laugh at yourself. That's really all that matters. Good luck and have fun!

JojaJogger said...

Good luck and have fun! I would pay to see the expressions on the faces of people you pass.

Anonymous said...

In a perfect world, everything will be dri-fit!

The Boring Runner said...

you should be able to:

-- get three finishers medals/ribbons (or maybe just 3 bibs since it is only a 5K)
-- place in the -1 AG category 1st and 2nd

BTW - since you are racing for 3, what the crap is Razz's excuse?

Emz said...

This is awesome!!

Can't wait for the report --- with pictures!! ;)

WAY TO GO!

Abby said...

Very cool!! Have fun out there - and be sure to record all the comments for posterity!

I might go for the pink Nike tunic, anyway. You could write your due date above your number so as not to freak too many people out :) It'd make for an awesome picture at the beginning of the baby book.

Scarlett said...

Great post! I hope to be as funny and fashionable as you when I'm prego. ;)

Mica said...

Have a great time racing! It will be an awesome experience (I think), or, at least, one that you can't have every day.

Just think, you'll have an automatic spacer between you and the person in front of you! And maybe people will get out of your way quicker!

RoadBunner said...

You HAVE to get one of those "Baby on Board" signs to pin on your back. And I'd even modify it to say "Two babies on board!"

Personally, I'd deal with cotton to cover the bump, but you'll look cute any way!

Nicole said...

Way to keep up the running and racing!

ShirleyPerly said...

No matter what you wear, you will be stylin'

Have fun and look forward to hearing how it goes!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

I can't wait to read the report!! Take lots of pictures :)

ShutUpandRun said...

Good luck, momma, you'll do great!!

Unknown said...

have a great time at the 5K!!

Steel Springs said...

Fun! Have a great time racing!

Nicole said...

YAY!!!

have fun out there!!!!

You will do fabulous!

Can't wait to see pics!!

Denise said...

you definitely are, and have been, setting a great example!!

have fun and be safe!!

full term size? i don't believe it...post some pics!

Lindsay said...

those boys are banditing a race already, tsk tsk!

this is too cool! have fun and enjoy your prego-pr and that the cotton holds up?

That Pink Girl said...

I am SO impressed with you - WTG!
I say go for the pink WOA preggo shirt. As long as you are comfortable. You ARE pregnant so why not look the part?!? What ever you wear just make sure you have a great time! Can't wait for the race report - have a great race!

J said...

They should totally have a special pregnancy running category! YOu would totally win that! And you are going to rock the shirt at the race...hey its better than looking super pregnant!

Mike said...

Enjoy and good luck!!!

Razz said...

From the front you look pregnant, from the side you look pregnant, from the back you look pregnant. Know why?? YOU'RE PREGNANT!

BTW, I have a feeling that a running pregnant lady will be the least spectacle in the genetic petrie dish called Council Bluffs.

Beccarigg said...

Lol! you're definitely gonna make people do a double take when they see that mango top pass them by : ) Good luck, looking forward to the report!

Erika said...

awesome!! I'm so excited for you!! yea for racing!

ym said...

You are setting such a great example for your little nuggets and any other to-be mothers out there! Go get 'em.

The Laminator said...

Sounds fantastically fun! Kudos to you for just getting out and getting it done! I feel bad already for the guys who'll get preggo'd by you! Haha!

MCM Mama said...

Have a blast! Wish I could be running with you just to see all the double takes. ;o)

kristen said...

Girl, you are the bomb!! Rock that baby bumb....or is it babies bumb?!

Melissa Marie Head said...

I am so excited to hear you are running the CB 5k - I am running the half again this year (and hoping for no tourential downpour!). You will be happy to know we no longer venture through the trailer park and there will be ample bathrooms this round. Whatever you wear the fact you are preggos with twins and racing is amazing.

Melissa Marie Head said...

OUCH!

"BTW, I have a feeling that a running pregnant lady will be the least spectacle in the genetic petrie dish called Council Bluffs."

Believe it or not most of Council Bluffs is quite nice.

RunningLaur said...

Have a great run this weekend! I know you'll look super cute no matter what you wear!

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling you will come away with this, with the worlds best race report! And I cannot wait!

Katie A. said...

The three of you are going to do great! Make sure you document this mango shirt with pictures :) Good luck!

Unknown said...

Have you checked Old Navy? They have some Long waisted tanks, yes cotton, but I bet a larger size one would work to keep you covered and comfortable. Or the maternity section may have something.. Clearance rack.

So AWESOME! BE careful and have fun.

Jess said...

Running a race while pregnant makes you first class bad ass.

Marathon Maritza said...

Yay for momma racing!!! Have a blast!

I totally care about race outfits, so I don't blame you. If the shirt is comfy and you'll be ok in it, who cares if it's from Target or whatever. And you KNOW I heart Target!

GET THOSE WALKERS!

Colleen Walseth said...

amazing! get those walkers! laughing reading your entire post. have fun super mom!!

Alisa said...

you crack me up!

Have a great time, make sure you get pictures, the little ones are "racing" too!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Have tons of fun and good luck! I'm sure you'll look great no matter what you wear!

Jess said...

Good for you! I bet you get a lot of encouragement from fellow runners.

N.D. said...

dude - where whatever is comfortable! you got this!

Felice Devine said...

Rock on! Preggo "racing" is so much fun. Have a great time.

Elissa said...

I love it! I say if you're going with the mango tank you should really have some fun with it. I'm thinking a iron-on of some sort...maybe something that says "Pregnant, 27 weeks, type O-negative..." "If found laying down, please help up."

Anyway, enjoy yourself running mama!

joyRuN said...

You know you're going to scare a lot of people on the race course, especially wearing that cotton, mango, Liz Lange maternity tank top ;)

You should have your own age group category!

Catching up with Jessica said...

hope that race went well! that was a hilarious post! You're a trooper, running with twins!!! you go girl!

RBJ said...

Wow! That is great! I can't wait to hear the race report! Also, your post brings up issues I'm having with pregnant running gear..now that summer's coming, I may need to invest in a massive dri-fit shirt or two. And some bigger shorts!

Have a great time!