Monday, July 20, 2009

Weekend full of win

After my victory at the first Crosscountrysquared Duathlon last weekend, I knew it would be a challenge to defend my title at Saturday's race. I mean, the amount of publicity I received was almost embarrassing. Talk about pressure.

Fear not however, I won again!

1/1 Overall
1/1 Female
1/1 Age group

That's right. I'm on a hot streak.

I woke up on Saturday morning ready to run. The weather was so amazingly cool (unheard of in Nebraska Julys) that I ran the first 4 miles in a t-shirt. No, not that rotten t-shirt. It was still soaking in OxyClean. (R.I.P Billy.)

After a beautiful run, I cruised into the garage, downed some water/changed, and hopped on the bike. Excellent dilly dally-free transition time, but I gave some serious consideration to forgetting the bike and just making it a long run day. Thankfully the call of my pretty new helmet finally got me out on the road.

I cruised the 15 miles over to my parents house for a water refill. Somehow I got talked into lunch. It was very good thing I'd built such a substantial lead to allow for 45 minutes of sushi. Mmmm, sushi. With that, I rounded back home to make it a 28 mile ride.

Last week's 26 mile ride didn't have a lunch intermission, so I knew I had to up the ante with less transition time and an improved run. That first half mile off the bike is never "easy", but it's not as shocking to me now. The legs feel wobbly and like lead, but at least I'm confident it'll pass.

I made it 5 miles before I decided to call it a day. Thought about going more, and probably could have, but I was hungry and had my sights set on Sunday. That's right...

Inaugural Crosscountrysquared Sunday 10K!

This too was a hot ticket since I was racing in a field of one. And shock of shocks- I won this too! I know, right? The weather was once again amazing, so I set out for a late afternoon run. No idea where or how far I'd go. Past the golf course, around the corn field, and a giant smile to the sweet corn truck on the corner. I love summer.
I rolled up the street and figured I'd be about 5.9 miles total. Can't stop at that, so I took a mini detour to make it an even 10K. Afterwards, The Husband and I sat out on the deck sipping Gatorade and soaking in our pretty awesome lives. I wish there was a way to make all weekends like this.

49 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

You are a SUPERSTAR!!

Way to knock out all your competition and score all that bling :-)

Chic Runner said...

:) You are on a roll! Way to go and dominate the playing feeling again! ha ha. and I love the trophy.

Mica said...

I can only dream of such weekend victories. And of homemade sushi lunches. Uh, SO JEALOUS.

kristen said...

Wait, you ate sushi and then biked 15 miles then ran 5 miles? There should be a category for that alone!

Nice work stud.

teacherwoman said...

Nice! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job! Wow, 2 for 2! Glad you are enjoying the bike. Maybe your mom won't want it back.

Unknown said...

Two for two. Can you pull off a trifecta?!?!

Cindy said...

you crushed the competition! oh wait...
:)
love the refueling with sushi. i never get sick of sushi!! but i've never eaten it pre-run/bike...

Amy said...

Haha, you rock! I love that you made a 10K race out of your run. You're unstoppable, lol.

RunningLaur said...

If you keep racking up victories like this, you're going to have to beat back all the sponsors coming after you!

Jeri said...

I hope next weekend spells a 3-peat. :)

Michelle Simmons said...

That's impressive. I almost never win my workouts. ;)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You're an unstoppable juggernaut of one!

(FYI: Juggernaut = Astronaut with Juggs. Or naut.)

The only thing that could stop you would be if you stopped!

MCM Mama said...

Wow! You are really rockin' in your competitions! ;o)

Marlene said...

So, how do I get myself invited to one of these events?!

Awesome job!

No Longer Using said...

oooooooooooh i want a deck!!!! you had a super active weekend- lol, field of one. i love it!!!! and i can't stop loving the fact that you can run/bike to your parents house. i could do that... in a few days!!!!! maybe i should?!?!?! epic journey i am gonna put it on my life list- with you as the inspiration!! :)

Christy said...

Seriously. Maybe I should try this solo racing thing. It might boost my confidence level!

Razz said...

What a surprise...it's all about you. Nice job,though.

Niki said...

Rock on!! You are too funny:)

The Laminator said...

Wow, XC2! You must have scared off all the other contestants with your awesomeness (or that skanky shirt...) No matter, you won anyway! Congrats!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

LMAO, you're hysterical!!

Aron said...

yayyyy nice job!!

Marci said...

I like this, I may organize my own race, and not allow any other enteries! :)

Maggs said...

You are on a roll! Keep it up :-)

Susan said...

Victory is so sweet...Are you going to go for the hat trick??

Anonymous said...

Weekends rock!
Especially enjoying them in the sun with sports drinks after a run

Great run/bike ride!

montisse98 said...

Awesome job!

C said...

You're a total juggernaut, dude. I am in awe.

J said...

Great job! Tough field...and with a lunch stop i wasn't sure if you could pull it off but you did!!

Jess said...

Goodness, you slaughtered your competition!

Lindsay said...

amazing racing! and with a sushi sag stop even! i don't think i would have been running after that, let alone biking.

next stop, xc2 olympics 2010!

B. Kramer said...

Congrats?

I always continue to wear those rotten shirts. I forget that there are other options. I just don't want to do all that laundry.

Cheers!

The Boring Runner said...

Solo races are AWESOME. It makes me think back to when I would play basketball against myself. It was always the 2nd half, I was always down by one - and if I missed, I was of COURSE fouled...

Playing basketball against myself was always much more fun than playing catch with myself. Fail.

Jamie said...

What a weekend! Way to dominate the field :)

Being Robinson said...

congrats on your winning weekend of awesomeness. i think your bling needs to get a little bigger with each victory... just a thought.

Ace said...

So seriously. I know this is an exclusive race and all. But I would sooooo sign up for any race that had rest stops armed with sushi....

Perhaps a long run, with FORCED sushi stops, even more entertaining?

SDrunner said...

Way to go on the win, now you have to go for the three-peat! That's a lot of miles (running and biking) for the weekend, great job!

Denise said...

You're amazing! Where will you store all your age group awards?

Mark said...

All I have to say is: stomach full of suhsi + duathlon = wow. That is super-impressive. I assume the magazine covers will be coming soon with your 3rd OA win in a row?

N.D. said...

GREAT JOB!

Katie A. said...

I-M-P-R-E-S-S-I-V-E! Way to rock both days lady!
And yes, I agree, I wish every weekend could be as fabulous as the last, with everyday being perfect summer weather!

Nicole said...

I love your trophys! Your going to have a wall of them before you know it!!! :)

Sounds like you havd a fun weekend!!! :)

Tammy said...

You are amazing! Somehow, you manage to keep winning these races.

:-P

Mike said...

Awesome job!!!

Nitmos said...

Just think how disappointed you'll be in an actual race not sponsored by XC2 when they tell you that you can't stop ofr lunch.

Anonymous said...

Huh, first and LAST place...

Unknown said...

I'm starting to wonder if you can ever really be beat.

Felice Devine said...

Awesome weekend, winner!

RoadBunner said...

Great job!

I think the stinky pink shirt is super cute!