So, you know that Lincoln marathon I've been planning to do from the moment I crossed the finish line of my last marathon six months ago? While I'd mentally committed to it, I never actually physically committed to it.
It's a long story why not, but it boils down to some life prioritization issues I was working through. Last Monday I made the decision not to do the marathon at all.
That pretty much lasted a day.
I negotiated with myself that if Sunday's 20 miler went well, I was back in for one more. Especially after the excitement of Boston. (Congrats to all the finishers!) Sunday went great, but when I went to register: SOLD OUT. Damnit! This race historically hasn't sold to capacity, but it's totally my fault for waiting too long.
I've been scouring marathon guide to try and find a close race in the next 30-45 days without much success. (If anyone knows anyone willing to... uh... "recycle" an unused full or half registration [Earth Week shout out!], shoot me an e-mail.) I'm extremely disappointed about not being able to do this marathon, but I may still volunteer just to be a part of it all.
Although, the more I think about it, this may be the universe telling me my original life prioritization instincts to not do it were correct . There will be other marathons at other times in other places.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

43 comments:
How about 12 days?
http://njmarathon.org/Registration.html
Registration doesn't close until 4/25, and it's a super flat course!
flip-flopper
That sucks, dude. But there are always other marathons, so don't fret too much. At least the reason you couldn't do this marathon was because of registration and not because of injury. See, there's always a bright side. :)
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I'd say come over to CO, but the one I'm doing is capped as well...
Something will come through for you...I believe!
oh girl i know the feeling. i wanted to (last minute) do the kentucky derby marathon since i'm right near by but the day i go to register -- sold out. :( course, i haven't exactly done a long run over 10 miles in the past few months so... it's probably for the best for me.
what about madison, wi? dunno how far that is? they have one 5/24. http://www.madisonfestivals.com/marathon/
I'll be in Madison running the half. I've heard it's a great place to run.
Totally sucks about Lincoln.
Does the race allow bib-swapping/bib-buying? If so, check craigslist to see if anyone has posted their bib for sale or swap. Otherwise, if you're incredibly desperate, you can appeal to the race director, if the race is small enough, to allow a late entrance.
Otherwise, if those avenues are closed, I'm sorry. There are many marathons out there, and since you're in Nebraska, I can tell you that the Colorado Colfax Marathon is in May, and registration is still open for that. Denver can't be more than an 6-8 hour drive from you, right?
Aw, that's a shame. I'm sorry it's sold out. There will be plenty more for you to run, though.
That sucks! I'm sorry... maybe you will find one and still ROCK IT :)
Oh...so sorry to hear that!
But your training is going so well. You'll find another one.
I second Abby...come to NJ!
I know you want a full marathon but Council Bluffs is having a half marathon June 7th that is suppsoed to be great. You should sign up for that.
Too bad, sister! But I'm pretty sure you'll find something else. Determined marathoners always seem to.
Good luck in the quest.
http://www.coloradocolfaxmarathon.org/
1/2 and full M. Get out here; you can even stay in my basement. N won't mind...:-)
Boston got me wanting to run a spring marathon! Hope you are able to find one that fits in your schedule.
in all seriousness, you sound like you have things in perspective. So either way, it's going to work out for ya.
I'll keep my eyes and ears open for ya.
oh no!!!!! is there another marathon nearby coming up??
I always wait to last minute and either it's 1) more expensive or 2) sold out. I feel your pain. Hopefully you can buy someone else's bib (craigslist?) or find another marathon relatively close by!
what a pisser. good luck finding something else. or, if not, good job sticking to your prioritization. Cheers.
That sucks, but maybe something better will work out.
How far are you willing to travel?
I'm sorry. I think I might have some small idea of the "life prioritization issues" you refer to and agree that certain things are tough, esp. when it comes to training around things that you can't even guarantee are going to happen. (Am I making any sense? Are we talking about the same thing?)
Anyway I will keep my eyes open for you on my frequent searches of Running in the USA. And I hope if the universe is trying to tell you something, it rewards you with a good distraction ASAP. But only if we're talking about the same thing. ;)
I did the L.A. marathon last year on a whim. It is a good one. I think it is May 25th. That is a PR course if you like the heat. I dont so I crashed but there were a ton of spectators out there chearing. Coming from ultras it was bizarre that so many people were cheering. Fun though plus L.A. is an amazing city with lots to do.
Fargo Marathon on 5/9 is still is open. I'll be there!
Bummer. I hope you find a marathon to do.
Total bummer.
Are there any local charities that may have spots reserved?otherwise, I concur with the craigs list - then just tell the director they had your name wrong or something.
Hey, if my PT tells me I can't run, you are welcome to my entry in OKC.... I'll even be there to cheer you on! :) Or you could just go and do OKC on Sunday, still have open entry.
That stinks!
Well I know of a couple but they are both West Coast.
Eugene in 12 days =)
RnR San Diego in 40 =)
that is such a bummer :(
there are a ton of marathons coming up if you want to travel though!
The universe is usually always right.
But sometimes I like to stick it to the universe and do what the hell I want.
So, good luck finding a marathon. You could always wait until September and do the Top of Utah Marathon. The course is Be-yoo-ti-ful.
Ugh. Sorry to hear about that. Total bummer. But I'm sure there are tons of other races that are fairly close by!
ohh I was thinking about going too, so I guess good to know!
if you come to Toronto you can run one with me, just a lot faster! :D LOL
Nuts! Hope your life prioritization stuff works out. Esp. if you and tfh are talking about the same thing.
BUMMER! If you don't get your hands on a bib, I would highly recommend volunteering. It's a great way to be involved and give back a little. Still, I know running would be better...
definitely volunteer...it's fun thing to do and so inspirational! i hear you about priorities...but it sucks to run 20 and then not do the race, so i hope you find one!
bummer.
Hope you find a race to run in your pink UA shoes!
Aww I'm sorry..
Sometimes you can get in races by raising money. Of course - not enough time.
Keep in your marathon mode for another month and hit the next one!
Hard to believ a race would sell out! You would think they would want as much of our running money as they can get!
I recently made a decision like that for a 1/2 Iron in June that I'm NOT doing. Do I feel a little bit bad, sure, but I'm still relieved I'm not doing it.
Oh man I'm sorry you didn't get to register for the race in time. I hope you can find a good replacement if you really want to.
I have an idea. Make a fake bib and you can still run in. What are the chances that the official will catch you???
Like Abby's comment... New Jersey Marathon is literally around the corner. You will have a chance to see the most beautiful Atlantic Ocean. *wink* Beats the view of cornfield.
Aw, that sucks!
Good luck finding another one to run. There are a lot of races on the calendar in the next few weeks, they can't ALL be full!
i hate it when that happens!!!
Post a Comment