Past
Since this was my first year of organized racing since high school, it was a bunch of PRs! Yay!
- May- S.A.M.E. National Conference Fun Run 5K- I ran this with my work friend who had done an amazing job losing weight and getting fit.
- May- Lincoln Half Marathon- This was my first real race, and I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't even own a watch. Time: 2:10:03
- September- Omaha Corporate Cup 10K- I also ran this with my same work friend. She blew away her anticipated time, and I was so proud of her that I nearly cried as we crossed the finish line.
- September- Omaha Half Marathon- I kind of trained for this, shaved off over 11 minutes, and was officially bit by the marathon bug. Time: 1:58:33
- November- Gobbler Grind Marathon, KS- My first marathon and my first AG place. (3/12) It was a small race, but it was such a great experience. I'm not sure when, but I'm definitely doing another one. Time: 4:04:25
Present
This last week has finally been nice enough to make running fun again. I went for 8 glorious miles on Christmas Eve morning and loved every step of it. My running life would be so much more productive if I didn't have to work all day. I'm definitely taking tomorrow afternoon off to go for a nice long run. Please stay in the 30s for the rest of the winter. Come on global warming!
This last week has finally been nice enough to make running fun again. I went for 8 glorious miles on Christmas Eve morning and loved every step of it. My running life would be so much more productive if I didn't have to work all day. I'm definitely taking tomorrow afternoon off to go for a nice long run. Please stay in the 30s for the rest of the winter. Come on global warming!
Future
I'll do all the same 2008 races again, but I'm not sure what else. I like to play things by ear. It keeps me from slipping too far out of shape. One thing I know for sure, I want to set some food goals for 2009 and what better way to do that than with some kicky clip art!
Historically, I've been a very picky eater. Embarrassingly so. Traveling for work, and having a husband who's fallen in love with cooking, however, have expanded my tastes quite a bit in recent years. Race and marathon training has also taught me to be better about seeking out nutritious/body fueling food instead of just avoiding unhealthy things. Items I want to incorporate more into my diet:
I'll do all the same 2008 races again, but I'm not sure what else. I like to play things by ear. It keeps me from slipping too far out of shape. One thing I know for sure, I want to set some food goals for 2009 and what better way to do that than with some kicky clip art!
Historically, I've been a very picky eater. Embarrassingly so. Traveling for work, and having a husband who's fallen in love with cooking, however, have expanded my tastes quite a bit in recent years. Race and marathon training has also taught me to be better about seeking out nutritious/body fueling food instead of just avoiding unhealthy things. Items I want to incorporate more into my diet:
- Fish- I fell in love with grilled salmon this year, but I'd like to expand to other grilled/baked items. My mother in law made some tilapia fish tacos this weekend that were yummy. I plan to tweak it a bit to make it more healthy in the coming weeks.
- Veggies- I've grown to like steamed broccoli and tolerate steamed green beans, but that's just about the only veggies I'll eat. The husband will eat just about anything, so I'd like more carrots, egg plants, peppers, spinach, cauliflower, etc in my life.
- Beans- I can do chili, but I still ask for my Chipotle burrito without beans. I want that to change. More beans in soups, more beans in salads, and more beans in my beloved Mexican meals.

- Almonds- My homemade granola contains sliced almonds, but I had no idea whole almonds were so tasty alone. I should have known of their power when they were in the opening scene of Devil Wears Prada. Those skinny Runway beeatches would never steer a girl wrong.

Feel free to share your favorite way to eat any of this stuff. I need ideas!
All in all, 2008 has been great, and I'm very exciting to see what 2009 brings. I have a variety of personal and professional goals for next year, and with some hard work and focus, I know 2009 has the potential to be even better.

34 comments:
LOVE the food clipart, almost as much as I love beans and legumes. Have fun expanding your culinary horizons in 09!
you had such a great year!! 2009 is definitely going to be great also!
i love your food goals- that's so cute! it's definitely fun to broaden your food horizons.
For some reason I felt the same way last week. I felt at the top of my game while running and loved every mile. I like your goals for 09, yay for Zip N Steam bags! (im lazy)
Great food goals.
Good job with 2008 and may 2009 be another awesome year for you. :-)
Each of your food goals are great - anyone should aspire to them!
Fun food section. I need to expand a little with my food eating as well. You really had a great year. Hope 2009 is even better.
Fun food goals. Loved all the color and the variety. Congrats on a great year. I see many more PRs in 2009. Have a happy and safe new years!
You sure had some good races for this being the first year you really started road racing.
I love almonds and eat them all the time as a salty snack!
I like the clip art.. wish I'd though to do something like that. :)
Nice job on 2008..
oooh if you have a trader joe's near you (or you could do it yourself) get the dry roasted almonds. i get them unsalted, but when they are roasted they are so much crunchier and tastier!!!! hmmm... making veggie stirfry REALLy got my boyfriend into veggies-- with olive oil. you had a great 2008!!!!!!!!!! it'll be fun to do all those same races again that's a great idea. (same marathon???) :)
I can't believe you ran your first marathon in 4:04. That's awesome!
Happy New Year!!!
Wow what a great improvement in your half time this year!
Salmon is delicious! Try putting almonds in salads with a dried fruit (I like cranberries and cherries) and gorgonzola. So good!
I know that 2009 will be an even better year! With your positive attitude and desire to run it will be amazing!
I love to make tilapia! I usually coat it with something to add some taste. I mix an egg with a little milk to coat the tilapia, then mix 2 parts bread crumbs with 1 part Parmesan cheese. I put the tilapia in the milk then take it out and cover it with the crumbs and cheese then bake at 375 or so for about 15 minutes.
Sister, if you can choke down broccoli - and actually KEEP it down - then you've earned more propz from me right there than for your near-sub-4-hour marathon. Which latter I consider to be quite an outstanding achievement in a year in which you seem to have achieved a lot.
Teh 'Bride was reading me a list of the 4 best foods for runners, and the ones I remember were: Fish; oranges; and almonds. I don't remember where this list was published. Probably Fish, Oranges, and Almonds Monthly. But still ... Fish, Oranges, and Almonds Monthly never lied to me before.
Wish I could remember the last one. But, since I can't, I'm going to say it was ... beer. But only when quaffed in massive quantities.
Cute post! Congrats on a great 2008 and Happy New Year!
I think those are great goals for 2009! Congrats on an awesome '08!
My fav way to eat those healthy things is adding bad things to them!! You are making a concerted effort which is key! Love the pics! You've had a good year and I'm sure 2009 will be even better!
Good luck with the expanding of your diet. I live on veggies and almonds. Yum!
Happy New Year!
The food clipart cracked me up. I LOVE eggplant and posted a recipe a while back. Here's a link, if you are interested (I had to break it into 3 lines to fit -- it should all run together):
http://thehappyrunner.blogspot.com/
2008/10/friday-yummies-lets-give-
it-up-for.html
Happy new year!
the food pics are cute! Congrats on a great year! Happy New Year, looking forward to what you accomplish in 2009! :)
YAY!! You had a fantastic 2008!! Here's to an even better 2009!
nice racing in '08! can't wait to hear about all your pr's in '09. your food/better eating goals are great, although you can have all the beans and nuts. i used to love red beans 'n rice (and toss in some sausage or turkey sausage) if you wanted to give that a whirl. have a safe and happy new year!
Great year. I am sure 2009 will be even better for you.
Here is a recipe I like that is really easy to make and incorporates beans AND vegetables:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/veg-head-three-bean-chili-recipe/index.html
Sounds like a great plan for 2009 and congrats on a great 2008! Food ideas - lots of fresh berries - you can put them in everything, salad, yogurt, cereal, bake them in breads, etc. YUM :) Have fun!!
Salmon and I are BFFs!!!
I am not a picky eater at all so I will and can eat anything! I like doing a veggie stir fry! It gives my veggie more taste.
I am a proud Alaskan so make sure that you only eat wild Alaskan Salmon and not Atlantic farmed. It is so much better for you. Also do not trust the folks behind the counter at grocery stores if it is Alaskan caught. I did this in Malibu last month and the guy promised me it was but I can easily tell the difference.
So I burnt the place down. jk
The running bug is a healthy one to have.
Try this soup with garbanzo beans - it was really good!
Haha, I love the clip art! I'm cheeseball like that.
Great goals, especially with the food.
Of course, I'll eat anything so I don't have those problems. Maybe my goal should be to be more picky with what I eat.
Great post! You'ved had a realy good running year and I can't wait to see what you decide to do for '09.
Wow, I can't believe you ran a half-marathon having no idea what you were doing, and still finished in 2:10. My goal time is 2:10, and I've been training for almost 2 months!! And of course I'm so proud of your marathon time with your age group award. = )
I had a great Christmas Eve run, too, but it was only 5 miles (which still seems like a lot of miles for Christmas Eve, ha ha).
I love salmon and fish tacos. We usually cook our salmon on the George Foreman grill, then you don't even need to add any oil to it (spray the grill with non-fat cooking spray), just spices on the fish (I like to use either minced garlic, the jar kind, or Pampered Chef dill seasoning).
I love almost all veggies, but I don't have any great recipes. But a great way to cook them (other than the Ziploc steam bags- I totally forgot about those!) is in the steamer that came with our rice cooker. It's totally easy, as you can do it at the same time as cooking rice, or just separate.
Oh, one of my favorites is acorn squash. You can cut it in half, and wrap saran wrap around it, and microwave it for 4 or 5 minutes on a plate. Then put a little butter/margarine or butter spray on it with some brown sugar and/or cinnamon. Oh yeah!
Raw almonds. Straight up or with dried cherries. Best. Snack. EVER.
Post a Comment