As much as us city-folk like to fight it, Nebraska is very much a farm state. Most people have parents/grandparents from a small town or at least know a farm-born person somewhere. For me, my dad was raised on a farm, and the husband is from a small town where his family still farms. I have great memories of traveling over the river and through the woods, and I can't wait for my future kids to appreciate all things rural at grandma and grandpa's house.
So while I may own a pink coat and my nails are
always painted, I can hold my own on a farm. I've picked my own sweet corn and gobbled it up 5 minutes later, the smell of a feed lot is oddly nostalgic, and my seasonal calendar is loosely tied to planting and harvest.
The weather here was beautiful on Saturday. Sunny, nearly 50, and perfect for a nice long 14-mile run. I busted out the shorts (just because I could) and set off for my long route on the out-skirts of town. I ran past the neighborhoods, ran past the golf course, and turned onto the empty road lined by cornfields. I hadn't been on that route since before the marathon last month, and it took me a couple seconds to realize why it felt so different. Then it occurred to me: the rolling hills of corn had been harvested!

Gone were the head-high stalks that closed in the road like a cozy green tunnel, and its place were broken brown remains that opened the countryside for miles in every direction. I'd almost forgotten about the tiny red barn buried among the hills or the dried stream that danced between the perfect rows. I know Christmas is right around the corner, and it was literally 0 degrees the very next day, but it wasn't until I stopped running, turned off the iPod and took a deep breath beside the cool empty field that it officially felt like winter.
32 comments:
sounds like a cool photo op! :) i'm a sucker for sweet running pics.
I love how you described that run. It sounds just like my runs over here in the neighboring state. I got a long run in Saturday also. Good thing with Sunday being 2 degrees and so windy
Sounds like a great run! I love running in my parents' small town in Wisconsin 'cause I can get out of town and see the fields, etc. I'm definitely a city girl, but every once in a while it's nice to get back to my roots.
Sweet run. You have a way with words...even about winter.
I know exactly what you mean. I keep thinking that winter means idyllic snow scenes, but in reality, it just means a lot of barren, dead land. Bummer.
Yay, a girly chick on a farm! And you made rural runs sound super cool! Now, where can I find myself some "rolling hills of corn"???
Pretty post. I feel like I could picture your route. You'll have to take some pictures!
Sounds like a wonderful run.
Sounds like a glorious run!
Great post!!
Awesome post, very poetic and really no need for a picture since we can all picture it in our head. Welcome to winter!
You make me want to run there too!
The post did need some pictures, so I hopped in the car and took one before the snow hit. :o)
Two words for ya sister:
Jersey corn!
Our secret ingredient: Luv.
Our second secret ingredient: Nuclear waste.
Actually, those are the only 2 ingredients. There is no corn in Jersey corn.
Sounds like you had a great run.
yeah, I got my long run in on Saturday, too cuz I knew it was too good to be true...and it was.
outskirts, golf course, cornfields. I've almost got enough info to stalk you. :)
i love the smell of cold air and winter. i don't really like to be cold, but i like the quiet outside when it snows-- you know how it hushes everything :) happy winter!
great post and description of your run... reminds me of when i went to visit my mom and ran on her country roads... and had to dodge a tractor coming my way ;)
i would love to do a run through the country on rolling hills, well- maybe not too rolling. i'd do it in the summer when i could pick some of that sweet corn to eat! that sounds delicious!
Yay.
A few years ago I stayed with my aunt on her farm for the summer - I loved the early morning runs with all the fields stretched out in front of me. The only problem - people drive super fast on those country roads!
I am a newbie to your blog. Thanks for visiting my blog. Your blog looks GREAT. I have bookmarked this to my Bloglines.
Nebraska as I called it Nebby. I will never forget how monotonous it was for me to drive on I-80 that seemed to go forever throughout the whole state. I could have stabilize the steering wheel and fall asleep since it is so perfectly straight for five hours. Smile !
i drove through nebraska once and all i remember seeing was corn :)
Very interesting post! I've always lived in the burbs and was amazed to see the fields that went on and on in Kansas and Nebraska when I was there. I can't imagine living so far from neighbors.
the weather was amazing.. and then today hit!
I am exactly the opposite....I am kind of a tomboy but put me on a farm and I get really girly quick. This city slicker can't take it.
Looks absolutely peaceful!
When the season changes it always puts a new persective on the normal runs. It helps break up the monotony and adds a little excitement.
Between NEB and TN we've got enough farms to make up for the whole country. You Nebraskaites got a rather colddddddd winter! Keep warm!
Wow, it's so... flat. Don't get me wrong, it's sounds so quaint, but there are hills all over the place in my hood. Heck, even my driveway is a hill, LOL.
And yes, it is now officially winter. Even though we had our first snow back in Oct, after that it calmed down and we had several days of above average temps, and then even a while where it was mid-50's. But now we've got the real deal snow, and horrible traffic to go with, and the freezing temps, too. This morning it was 17 degrees- brrrrrr. Gone are the days of shorts (or capris in my case)- at least until Spring. = )
Cool picture! It's pretty there. I bet it was a nice run. It made me laugh you said you are girly but can hold your own on a farm :) haha.
I'd LOVE to run there! Looks so darn pretty!
Yeah, you Nebraskans are such farm hicks! Oh, wait...damn, forgot where I lived.
Post a Comment