Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sweaty. Finally.

I went for a run after work today, and I actually got sweaty. Unbelievable since we've been living in Antarctica for weeks. Couldn't tell you the last time that happened. Wind stung tears streaming down my cheeks? For sure. Snot dripping out my nose without even realizing it? Totally. Legitimate beads of sweat rolling down my face. No way that happens when it's as cold as it's been. But today was 41! Heat wave! It was partially the "heat" and partially my clothes.

I organize my cold weather outfit by temperature/windchill:

10-20 degrees: Hat, mittens, UA shirt, and fleece top
20-30 degrees: Headband, thick gloves, UA shirt, and fleece vest
30-40 degrees: Handband, thin gloves, UA shirt only

Per the chart, I should have been in the 30-40 range, but out of habit, I went with the 20-30 outfit. By the time I made it home, my poor hands were sweating like Lloyd Christmas on a motorcycle, and I was pitting out like a whore in church. Sex-ay.

But it felt good. It felt productive. And for the first time in awhile, that post-run shower served a purpose. Used soap and everything! Usually it's just standing there under the hot water trying to get warm. (I do take a real, full-on shower at another time. I'm not that dirrty.)

As far as I'm concerned, it's spring from here on out. Only sweaty runs. I will not hear of it getting cold again. LALALALALA.

38 comments:

Shannon said...

You Nebraska gals are bad ass! Isn't spring almost here? Dayum....

Anonymous said...

I have heard good things about this "soap" stuff you are talking about!

Anonymous said...

30-40 degrees and just a UA shirt, you are one tough chick! I still need several layers:-) Glad things warmed up a bit for you.

Can't believe you had to use soap!

teacherwoman said...

With these warmer temps, it's almost like a tease because I do realize that it's still ONLY January and we have at least a couple more months of winter up here...

ym said...

We're getting an early Spring out here too! It should be in the 40s until I think Sunday. I like your chart, good thinking, but you are a tough chick!

Unknown said...

above freezing seems downright balmy these days!

J said...

Sweaty run! Yay! It has been cold out and I do use those post run showers to warm up! I hate to say it but i bet it wont stay warm for long!

Marlene said...

LOL, I totally do the post-run showers for the purpose of warming up only.

Glad you enjoyed the "heat wave".

Heather said...

I overdress out of habit this time of year too . . . I just assume it's going to be freaking cold and wear as many clothes as possible.

ShutUpandRun said...

Good to hear you used soap. I'm sure those around you will thank you.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I overdress too... and it's amazing that we can sweat in the middle of a deep freeze! Nothing better than a warm shower afterwards...

B. Kramer said...

Good luck with that. No more cold? Have you heard of February?

Katie A. said...

I know us NorCal chics are babies when it comes to cold weather...I'll admit it. But I too was sweating and overdressed last night - took my shirt off and ran in my sports bra! It was 55 out! Whoo hoo!

Sarah said...

Not to burst your bubble but the next one is coming next week!

Ace said...

I second the nomination for no more winter. And the motion passes!

Razz said...

Can you imagine how much *more* you would've sweated if you wore pants? Wow!

Nicole said...

Its 40 here today and i think thats shorts/tshirt weather! BAHAHAHA!! ohhh getting used to the winter temps! i'm ready for spring! i agree, from here it should be smooth sailing.. i hope! knock on wood!

M2Marathon said...

I sweat no matter how cold it is. It just might take 5 miles to "warm up" but it always happens.

Following the rule of thumb, "add 20 degrees to the temp and dress for that" means 40 degrees = short sleeves or possibly even shorts (depends upon wind velocity). We hit 61 yesterday here and this has served to make me fully delusionally convinced that it is March ("spring") rather than the reality that it is only January ("WINTER"). Double bonus of this is that my birthday is in March, so I am expecting a shower of gifts, any day now...

Anonymous said...

1 degree or 100 degrees...I sweat like a pig. It is gross.

Nitmos said...

See, I still sweat at 10 degrees. It just freezes to my face like Lloyd Christmas' nose leakage in the Rockies.

ShirleyPerly said...

Niki, you're a riot!!

I ran ~ 9 miles in 45-50 degs yesterday, which is darn COLD for FL. I nearly panicked when I realized I forgot to bring my water bottle. Then realized I didn't even need one as I wasn't even sweating!

Jamie said...

I'm so excited to run in the 40 degree weather we are having too. Positive thoughts it's only up from here!

Christy said...

It's supposed to get in the 60s here in florida today, and let me tell you, I can't wait to get out there and run! Sweaty pits, here I come!

Jeri said...

Hold on a second, you mean to tell me it's NOT spring? Eff.

Jess said...

30 to 40 degrees damn that is a heat wave. Enjoy it while it lasts! I'm hoping spring gets here soon!

Jess said...

See, and 30-40 degrees for me would require: hat, thick gloves, and two shirts. And then I would post about how I barely even sweat in such cold!

Jen Feeny said...

Living in denial is a glorious thing huh?

Erika said...

Sheesh, you're tough. I ran yesterday in the mid 30s and I had on a long sleeve tech shirt AND a long sleeve fleece and I was comfortable.

MCM Mama

Aron said...

40 degrees is my favorite running weather!

Anonymous said...

41 degrees. That's 5 degrees Celsius.

Totally relevant to this post, somehow.

The Laminator said...

I like your chart, but it's sorta incomplete...I think you need to figure in wind chill, humidity, and dwwpoint into your calculations...

Denise said...

We hit upper 40s yesterday and I thought it was Spring!! it was such a nice run!!

Thomas Bussiere said...

Love this post and LoL. I like the temp range and what to wear - So true. I overdressed also with yesterday's long run, but it felt good to feel the warmth. I had salt stains on my UA.

Abby said...

I'm a perpetual over-dresser... I'm not sure I'll ever learn :)

Mica said...

I know! Finally, warm weather! (By "warm," I mean "not Arctic.")

Thank you for your organization of winter clothes. I hope 10-40ยบ involves pants of some type or you'll be running around, showing your cookies!

Alisa said...

40---hot? BRRRRRRR, I'm a 70-90 degree kinda girl!

Felice Devine said...

I'm w/you on the LALALALA (as the snow falls outside my window...).

Susan said...

Yesssss I love when the sweaty feeling returns, even if it's a result of over dressing. :)