Thursday, January 7, 2010

How I saved dinner (and not running)

I was going to post this big thing about how Nebraska is apparently Antarctica, children have stopped going to school, and haven't I run or felt concrete in a long time since it's simply not safe. But that would have been annoying and no fun. The short story is I'm dying to get outside and run. Dying. I'm trying to make the best of it with the elliptical in my basement and plenty of lifting and yoga videos, but it's not nearly the same. Sunday is supposed to be 22, and I'm going out one way or another.

So in lue of a complaining post about the inconvenience of windchill, I thought I'd give you all a peek into my marriage, why I'm the best wife ever, and how the snow almost ruined dinner:

The Husband's car doesn't drive in the snow, so we usually ride together to work on days like yesterday. (Snowing, windy, very cold.) I want to be at work by 8:30A and we leave accordingly. As I pull into the parking lot, he realizes he has no office key since he didn't drive and the office key lives with the car key.

This has happened before.

N: (Glare)
The Husband: Don't worry. Brad's coming at 8:30. We just have to sit here for a few minutes.
N: Uh huh.

20 minutes later and well past 8:30, I decide I have to go to work and throw him out the door to sit in the coffee shop across the street.

He thinks I'm mad, which I really wasn't, and calls midday to offer to make dinner. Good thinkin', hon. Our plan is for me to pick him up at 4 to go home.

I get busy and don't leave until 4:30 but no big deal... until I drive into his office parking lot and he tells me to pull into the space instead of just jumping in and us driving off. This can't be good.

TH: Don't be mad.
N: Whhhhy?
TH: Well, I forgot that I don't have my keys when everyone left, so I can't lock up, and now we have to wait for Brad to come back.
N: Let me guess, we should only have to sit here for a few minutes.
TH: Yes, please don't be mad.

As I'm sitting there contemplating the pros and cons of being single again while trying to wrap my head around doing the exact same damn thing we did 8 hours prior, he's trying to babble about this awesome pizza he's going to make to lighten the mood.

TH: ...and the sauce...
N: Wait, I made spaghetti and turkey meatballs two nights ago.
TH: Yes, and it was very very good.
(kissass)

N: I only bought one jar of sauce for this week.
TH: Oh. That IS a problem. What do you want to do?
N: We can have leftovers tonight and go to the store tomorrow OR just go now.
TH: Hmmm, I don't really want to do either. It's very cold and snowy.
N: I don't want to be sitting in this goddamn car AGAIN, but we all can't get what we want.
TH: Good point. How about I drop you off at home and then go?
N: That's dumb. We'll see what I'm in the mood to do when Brad finally gets here.

Time passes, gas gets wasted, and I hate Brad's slow driving ass. (Although probably not as much as Brad hates The Husband's dumbass ass.)

I look around and wish the liquor store across the street sold food... I wish the Weight Watchers next to that sold food... I wish the sandwich place next to that sold sauce... I wish the Valentino's italian buffet next to that sold-- WAIT A MINUTE!

N: I bet you $100k that Valentino's sells their jars of spaghetti sauce at the restaurant!
TH: I bet you're right!
N: And if they don't, you are getting a cup, taking some sauce from the buffet, and paying whatever they charge. You will not be leaving sauce-less.
TH: Check.

Brad finally comes and we drive across the parking lot to Valentino's. A minute later, he comes bounding out smiling and proudly holding a $4 jar of Val's spaghetti sauce.

Much celebrating was done in the car because I'm an absolute genius (me) and my mood had improved greatly (him). Dinner was amazing, worth every penny, and The Husband was thanking his lucky stars he's married to a someone so stinkin' brilliant. (Maybe I made that last part up, but he SHOULD HAVE BEEN!)

43 comments:

Razz said...

yeah...a post about how effing cold it is here would have been lame.

Thanks a lot.

Oz Runner said...

that was funny...if it was me, I just would have offered to buy you dinner at Valentinos, but then again I'm not that good at making pizza.....

Sarah said...

I would have demanded dinner at Valentinos. Or left him at work. I'm kinda mean like that.

B. Kramer said...

Yeah, I totally would have bailed on making dinner at that point.

FLATOUT JIM said...

I don't know what amazes me more. The crappy weather, or all the people complaining about it.

Thanks for not following the herd!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Love this post and your clever thought process, along with VALID internal frustration.

We are in the mid 40's with rain. Feel free to come visit Seattle, I will take you on atour of our lovely paved trails and sidewalks..SNOW FREE.. Oops I better not say anything Mother Nature is watching.. Sorta like when you say "Traffic is not that bad" and WHAMMO!!

Happy New YEar!

Jen Feeny said...

So this is what I have to look forward to if I move up North with Spike? Hmmmm time to go break it off...

Anonymous said...

You are brilliant!! Good luck with the 22 this weekend. Hope the weather warms up a bit.

Mark said...

oh yes, MUCH praise for being such an intelligent, patient, and understanding wife.

horrrrrrrmones.....

hang in there, hubs.

Jess said...

hahahahah oh man! Glad husband saved the day by finding some sauce lol.

Melissa Marie Head said...

That was quite cute and very funny! This weather is killer though - first winter I have been here in 5 years and turns out to be brutal. Hope the pizza was good.

Nicole said...

haha!! sounds like a conversation id have with my dumbass boyfriend too! good think your genius and thought to get sauce there! good idea!!

N.D. said...

so cold here too! ugh! Have to button up and brave it!

Kelly said...

I bet he totally is. Where are you running on Sat? Do you think the trails are clear?

Kathleen said...

Mannn I hope your run turns out ok! 22 degrees? OUCH, I feel for ya girl!

I Run for Fun said...

You are brilliant! And very glad the hubs could whip up that pizza and save his ass.

Julia said...

another proof that women are smarter than men! If only we ruled the universe... :)

Jamie said...

You are brilliant! Although at that point I would have been way annoyed and made him take me to the restaurant. Glad it all worked out and you glued those keys to his hand :)

joyRuN said...

Men have no appreciation of our brilliance. NONE. It gets worse with kids, unfortunately.

I would've made him take me to Valentino's too :)

kristen said...

C2 saves the day yet again. I swear I don't know how these husbands ever survived that long without us.

Amber said...

Hahahaha, oh men! I would have been seriously pissed too!

ym said...

I don't think I would last a week in the cold out there.

Anonymous said...

We are supposed to have a high of 21 this weekend and I cannot wait to get out and run!!! The snow that is coming tonight better be the heck outta here by Sunday!!

teacherwoman said...

Pretty damn cold here too. supposed to be -28 (without wind chill) when I am heading to work tomorrow morning. YAY!

way to save dinner, BTW. :)

Erika said...

That's hilarious! Beer Geek would have just bought me dinner at Valentinos.

Of course, in our relationship, I'm the one who forgets the keys LOL.

MCM Mama

Unknown said...

I loved the conversation and you ARE brilliant! Husbands are so....silly.

Anonymous said...

You can never make "the best" of an elliptical. Ever. And, it sympathize with the cold. It was 12 degrees in CO today, but I bundled up and hit the pavement. Go for it!

Mica said...

This totally sounds like something Harrison would do, minus the offer to make dinner.

Good thing your hubby is married to such a practical and logical lady. (Not to mention, she is smokin' hot!)

Rookie on the Run said...

Ha ha! I was laughing as I read this! You are too funny!

My favorite line: "...his dumbass ass".

Great post! Thanks for the chuckles! :D

Carly said...

LMAO!!!! I am impressed that you still wanted to cook. I am the take out queen.

Lindsay said...

i love your stories. glad you were able to restrain yourself from domestic violence ;)

{will run for margaritas} said...

HAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! This is HILARIOUS!! Is this what I have to look forward to when I get married?! :-)

The Boring Runner said...

BEST marriage story ever.

Believe me that has NEVER happened to me and my wife... ever... except it was lasagna noodles and not sauce.

Clare said...

i LOVE when people are honest about their dumbass husbands! i would be about mine except he doesn't think it's funny when i do it...i need your sense of humor about it!

No Longer Using said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a fabulous story. i love your convo recaps. ahhh what a day that was, huh. it's almost comical, ... i would have been mad and then felt bad about being mad since stuff like that just... happens. lol. but i love when something just makes it isntantly better (sauce) and i could not stop cracking up how happy you guys were cuz you were a genius and your hubby cuz you weren't mad. it's such a true-life story. we've all been there. love it!and you seriously rocked that sauce. i would've died if you'd gotten it from the buffet :)

J said...

I love your husband/wife stories! Sounds a lot like what I go through with my boyfriend!!

M2Marathon said...

I keep cans of crushed tomatoes in my pantry (and of course the requisite bottle of McCormick's Italian Seasoning) for JUST THIS KIND OF SITUATION! Homemade sauce=saved.

I would never have guessed Val's their sauce; but I am the oddball that never liked Val's much..good thinking!

Jeri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeri said...

Brains and beauty. That's probably why he married you...or so I'm guessing.
Also, is it REALLY supposed to be in the 20s on Sunday?!?! That's so sad that is considered warm...I'm going to check weather.com right now. Ha.

Running and living said...

You keep your emotions on check way better than I do. My husband would probably have walked home.

C said...

My aunt in Iowa was snowed in her house for a few days. Thankfully she's a hoarder and didn't have to worry about running out of food.

Btw, mayhaps it's time to update your 'About Me' on your profile. You are in the 20s no more, my friend. :)

Alisa said...

Hilarious! I wouldn't have been so nice. At the end of my days, I'm usually cranky, tired and HUNGRY--extra waiting is NOT acceptable =).

It's been cold here too but nothing like you guys but too cold for me.

Laurel said...

That's hilarious. I still would have been pissed about the whole car thing, but that's just me :)