Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chicken and veggie tortilla soup

My sister in law called last week to ask if The Nephew could come spend the night on Saturday. Of course! Our plans included making chicken veggie tortilla soup and chilling. I've made chicken tortilla soup a million ways, but I was trying a new recipe this time. This one came from Beth and her healthy food blog V02 Maxxed. (She's pretty much my bloggy idol with the athleticism and SoCal lifestyle I could only dream of having.)
They launched a little Burnout Paradise on the PS3 while I started the soup.
I added some stuff to the original recipe (black beans) and left a few things out (green peppers and corn). I intended to add corn, but the can in the pantry apparently met with some botchulism back in 2006. After a few minutes, I hear, "can I help?" Sure thing kid.
Don't cut yourself...
...or burn yourself...
...weeeee! Magic Bullet!
I cut and boiled while he ran off with my camera.

The husband provided the sound track for the night...

...while I continued to Martha Stewart around the kitchen.

When the cooking was finally done, I scooped the soup into bowls and topped with cheese and tortilla chips.

Although the pizza in the fridge was much more appealing to the kid. (Which was fine. The soup ended up being quite spicy after all the chilies and hot enchilada sauce. Plus, who doesn't love pizza?)

The remainder of the night was filled with Kung Fu Panda and general adorableness on the couch. (The Nephew thinks I'm cool, but he thinks The Husband is A W E S O M E.)

Overall, I thought the soup was great! A+. Very healthy and hearty and made for plenty of great leftovers. (Plus, it incorporated several of the beans and veggies I vowed to eat as my New Year's resolution.) It was a bit spicy, but that could be controlled with milder ingredients along the way.

On the slight downside, and perhaps it was all the extra "help" I got, it took a fair amount of time to put it all together. Definitely not a quick Tuesday night meal, but I certainly plan to make it again on chilly Saturday night. You should too. You won't be disappointed.

36 comments:

Marlene said...

Aw, looks like you had so much fun with your nephew!

I can't wait til my niece is old enough for sleepovers (i.e. POTTY TRAINED!)

Jess said...

Looks like a great time with the Nephew and that recipe sounds good!

No Longer Using said...

GREAT PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love the series :) and i love your bangs! i used to have bangs before they were cool (aka my whole life until frosh year at college)... but i didn't rock them so well :)

and i laughed out loud at the "nephew thinks i'm cool but the husband is A W E S O M E " hahaha. SCA-DOOOOOSH. ;)

Razz said...

You use dog dishes for bowls? No wonder he wanted pizza.

BeachRunner said...

It must be the totally cool Led Zep t-shirt that makes everyone fall madly in love with the awesomeness of your hubby.

Get yourself a Led Zep t-shirt, NOW. But first, give me some of that soup.

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun night. The recipe sounds good.

Brian said...

The kid knows how to game, haha. That soup looks good and I lovvve spicy hot soup. Awesome pics!

Denise said...

Sounds great!! I love soup nights! Having nephews is so much fun.

Marcy said...

Oooooo that looks good! And bonus for having such a super cute helper ;-)

Stacey said...

Looks like a fun weekend with your nephew. The soup sounds yummy.

RunToTheFinish said...

wow that looks fun! I always enjoy when D and I do some cooking together... our tiny kitchen doens't work to well for it now though

raulgonemobile said...

Soup looks good! We rarely make homemade soup unfortunately.. It's either a can or a trip to Panera.

Christy said...

That looks delicious. Yum.

And my nephew is the same way. He thinks I'm cool, but he absolutely LOVES my husband.

Carly said...

It looks like your nephew had a blast! The soup looks great too.

N.D. said...

aww that looks like so much fun! and yummy soup!

Mica said...

Aww, I want a nephew to entertain! What a cute and fun night!

...By the way, this is the first picture I've seen of your FACE! Pretty lady making soup!

Hone said...

Nice.

Sounds like a fun night with some good food. I like your hubbys Led shirt. He is cool as hell in my book.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Nice ax the husband has! What kind is it?

(To be clear: I mean his guitar, sister!)

Lindsay said...

love all the pics and looks like it was a fun night! soup sure looks good, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Sarah said...

1. I love that I'm your 2,000th post comment apparently, and I can barely pull 5 comments on a good day. Clearly you have a bigger fan club!

2. Definitely love the tons of pictures in this post.

3. The soup looks delicious.

J said...

Aww what a fun night! Totally cute and I love all the pictures!

MCM Mama said...

Looks like a fun night. I love tortilla soup! I have a super easy recipe that I throw in the crockpot that we eat all the time in the winter.

Unknown said...

Looks like you had more fun making the soup than eating it!

I Run for Fun said...

Very nice pics. Sounds like a fun bonding time. I love yummy spicy soup.

The Laminator said...

Wow...I'm very impressed with your cooking skills. Can I come over for dinner too?

joyRuN said...

Can you take my two on a Saturday night? PLEASE???

Marathon Maritza said...

Sounds like a fun night! :) I love making soups, I should really make more...I've slacked this cold season. Nice!

Anonymous said...

The soup looks great - I'm always looking for the Perfect Tortilla Soup.

Tammy said...

Looks like your nephew had a blast!

The soup looks great, too. I used to make soups all winter long. This winter, I've been a very lazy chef.

Alisa said...

Sounds tasty! See you next week!

Shannon said...

Yum-O.....I'll be cooking this next week.

Jess said...

Looks delish! Now I'm hungry...

Breadcrumb Runner said...

Cool, the Magic Bullet! It's always fun watching those informercials. Nice pictures, by the way!

Aron said...

yummmm i love soup!

beth said...

HI!!!! I just read this! So excited you made the soup (I also forget that i make things REALLY spicy and that may not fly with everyone- whoops- will remember next time).
I love all the hubby and nephew pictures- they are so CUTE!
I hope portland brings good weather for you- anything but arctic nordic running is good, right?
sending you sunny vibes!
-b

Mark said...

You're so "Martha".