Saturday, October 25, 2008

How I got here



So everyone and their dog has a blog, so I thought I would join the party! As you can gather from the title of the blog and box on the right, I like running and wanted a place to chronicle my quest to run my first marathon on November 23rd. (Since my running life isn't always super duper exciting, I figured I'd supplement this place with touches of my work travels around the country.)

Anyway, back to the marathon and some background on what made me pull the trigger. I've been a runner and athlete most of my life and always enjoyed it. I ran track in high school (mostly because it was coed), but I played other sports all the way through college. Unfortunately, most of my evenings in 2005-2007 were spent in uncomfortable wooden desks at graduate school instead of running. Upon graduation last December, people asked what I was going to do with all my time. My response: get back to running every day.

Fast-forward to May 2008 when I ran my first half marathon in Lincoln. I liked it-- really liked it. So much so that I signed up for the Omaha half marathon in September. Twelve minutes shaved from my time, and I had officially been bitten. The Monday after the race was spent googling potential half marathons in the Midwest that I could run before winter.

Some where around Kansas I started thinking, "hmmm I'm running more than I ever have... we'll hopefully do the family thing next year... a full marathon will never make more sense than it makes right now." One click and $65 later, and I'm officially signed up for the Gobble Grinder in Overland Park, KS in 5 weeks from tomorrow. (Deep breath)

More to come about my training, mileage, experiments with energy gels, shoes, clothes, etc.

PS- I promise to pretty up this place soon.

8 comments:

Frayed Laces said...

Ooh your first post and your first comment...I feel so special!

Welcome to blogland, chicka! Get comfortable, it's gonna be a long ride!

Laura said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and welcome to blogland yourself! Such an exciting time with your first marathon on the horizon - I look forward to reading more and hearing all about your experience :)

RooBabs said...

Thanks for visiting my blog (just curious- have you been lurkingn for a while, or did you just stumble upon it?)

Anyway, congrats on your great half-marathon times, and good luck with your upcoming marathon training. I look forward to reading more!!

N.D. said...

That's great you are doing your first marathon soon! Nice first post! Sounds like you'll be great at marathoning with a background in running! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

X-Country2 said...

All my favorite bloggers stopping by MY blog! It's like a brush with celebrities. Thanks ladies.

X-Country2 said...

Oh, and yes roobabs, I've been lurking for a bit. The half marathon website link with state by state listings a couple weeks ago was me. :o)

RooBabs said...

Thanks for the link- that's how I found the half in St. George. Although I won't be running it, it's definitely a good reference!

Mark said...

Oh be warned, XC2, I'm starting from post one and working my way back...so expect a barrage of comments on stuff you forgot you ever wrote!