(That's me blowing the dust off of this here blog. Poor, little neglected blog.)
So while I've been sucking at blogging this summer, I've been enjoying the hell out this summer. Here's a quick recap on the big races.
1. Omaha Women's Sprint Tri
I biked once and swam zero leading up to this race. As usual, I just do this race because it's right across the street from the hospital where the boys were born, and my entire family comes out to cheer.
This is hand's down my favorite race picture of all time.
I had a top 60 swim, top 50 bike, and top 10 run. Ha! A perfect reflection of my training. I did get 4th in my AG and an invite to Nationals in Vermont. Ha ha. Small races are so flattering.
2. Omaha Oly Tri
I ended up doing this race because I had a long run on tap, but without my running buddies, I didn't want to run alone. So I figured this would be a great three hour workout instead. Genius, right? Not that I'd biked or swam since the previous race.
I had such FOMO (fear of missing out) last year, so while totally under-prepared for 2/3 of it, I knew I had the strength and fitness to survive. The race itself was beautiful. Perfect weather, great course, fun fun fun. I finished second in my AG and really happy.
3. Sioux Falls Marathon
This was my A race of the fall, and to say it was a disappointment would be an understatement. It was my first marathon as a mom, and I'd put a lot of time and sacrifice into training. Well, the race itself was crappy, but everything else was fantastic. Sioux Falls was lovely, the race was organized and flat, and I got to meet the coolest chick in the history of ever.
Jeri is even funnier, sweeter, funner, and more adorable than she is online. She was kind enough to welcome me into her home and cart me around all weekend. Thank you thank you.
Here's the short version of the race: I went out too fast, got tired in the middle, and wasn't mentally strong enough to keep from falling apart. The course is flat and scenic, but it can be pretty isolating. With no one to shame you into not walking, it's far too easy to give into the temptation. I blew up my goal and far past four hours.
This is what one looks like 60 seconds before a tearful, dramatic, melt DOWN.
This smile is a lie.
4. Omaha Marathon
This marathon was only two weeks later, but I was determined for redemption. My plan was simple: Stick with the 4 hour pace group like glue. I know I'm physically capable of a 3:45ish marathon, but I guess I'm not mentally strong enough yet.
The morning was cold, calm, and perfect. This was taken around mile 7. See that yellow pacer guy? I was on him like white on rice. Like, we were knocking elbows. Sorry, dude. I was on a mission.
I ended up losing the pace group after a huge downhill near mile 13, running with a coworker 13-18, and finishing the rest on my own while keeping the pace group behind me. Finish time: 3:57, 7 minute PR, and this smile pretty much says sums it up:
I was SO DAMN proud of myself. My splits were really consistent, I only walked through water stops, and I enjoyed ALL of it.
My mom dropped me off and returned to cheer me at the finish. Bless her heart, I love her. Here's a few gems from the morning:
"Niki, it's 39 degrees! You're going to freeze in that outfit. Here, I have a sweatshirt in the trunk. You can just tie it around your waist when you get hot."
(As I'm sitting in an exhausted pile after the finish) "I see chocolate milk over there. You can walk around and pick up all the snacks you want. Take all the time you want. Enjoy it.! I'll just sit right here and wait for you."
So that's what I've been up to this summer. Oh, and being a mom.
The boys are two now, and life is beyond wonderful.
So now what? I'm giving serious consideration to Kansas Half Ironman next spring. I've always said I needed some training buddies, and I think I may have found them. The lack of time is what's killing me. We'll see how the winter goes.
What else? Well, this is the end of ye ol' XC2 blog. I started blogging four years ago while training for my first marathon, and it seems appropriate to end on a great marathon performance. Thank you so much to everyone for reading, commenting, and providing me with the inspiration from all your blogs over the years. I'm still reading and following everyone, so I'm definitely still around.
And to anyone who's found this blog looking for pregnancy running or twin pregnancy running, feel free to email me with questions.
Where I'll be:
A.) Twitter! Want to see picture of food, my kids, and me? Twitter is the place to be.
B.) Bottle Fed Parents- A new blog! Razz, Vanilla, Nitmos, Amy, and I got together to do a little blogging about parenting, life, and the joys of being an adult. I'm the newest parent and sunniest of the contributors, so it'll be fun to watch my spiral into the crusty, jaded, self-medicating pro just like the boys.
Bye folks. Thanks again. It's been fun.






12 comments:
Girl, you are a star. I've been a lazy heap since the half, and need to get back at it. Glad you're still on twitter and yay for a new blog! :)
sunniest?
I love the new blog! Also, great job on your new PR :)
NOOOOOOOOOOOO you can't leave for good! I will miss you! Whenever you come off being MIA I always get so excited to see what you've been up to! You seriously are my inspiration for when I get preggers and start having the kids. So sad to see you go but I'm very excited to see how Bottle Fed takes off. xoxo Red
Aww! I'll miss your blog! But I'm glad you've been up to a lot with training, racing, and chasing after those two cute little boys of yours :). I'll follow your new blog but as a non-parent, probably won't comment as much. Nice hearing from you!
You were one of the first prgenant runner blogs I discovered over two years ago when I became pregnant with my son. I'm bummed that you are closing out your blog, but I will follow you on your next journey. I was so impressed with how quick you got back into shape being a mother of twins!! Congrats on your sub 4 hour marathon. I can't believe you had time to train!! Good luck and I wish you mcuh future success :)
AWESOME!! Love the recaps, you look so fit and the boys are super handsome. Will come (stalk) find you on Twitter.
HUGS!! Mel
Nice job on all the racing! I'll have to check out the collaborative blog.
Wow, what an amazing, successful Summer - nice work! And especially learning from a tough marathon to have a great one 2 weeks later; love the pics with the boys. Sorry to hear you are closing out this blog...but I'll wander over to your new one as methinks I shall need some useful information in that department soon - best wishes for the future!!
Congrats on some great results. Have enjoyed following your blog.
Hi Niki - I know you aren't blogging anymore so I don't know if you will even get this comment (I am not on twitter so I can't send you a message there) but i recently found out I am pregnant with twins and have been running decently through the beginning parts of my pregnancy. Im almost 14 weeks now and I hope to continue for as long as possible. I just reread your story about your twins (I followed/read when it all actually happened) and just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that your story inspires me to run as long as I can, and I Hope it is until 33 weeks!
Dietary Tips: Use the red, orange and green rule..... smolov
Post a Comment