Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Running (for Sherry, with co-workers, and on the trails?)

Run for Sherry
If you're part of the running/blogging community, you heard about Shut Up + Run's virtual run for Sherry. Sherry was a Montana woman (SUAR's cousin, actually) who was abducted while on a run one day and didn't come home. The whole story is beyond heartbreaking. Beyond. But out of all that sadness, SUAR created a movement of strength, hope, and love. Runners around the world ran for Sherry on Saturday, and I was proudly one of them.
It was 8 degrees, but it was sunny and calm. Perfect. I left my Garmin and headphones at home and just ran. I stopped at my favorite spot on a hill for a bit to face the sun, breath in the crisp air, and just soak in the moment. Thank you for organizing the event, SUAR. You're amazing.

Running with co-workers
I was in Denver this week for a conference, and I was able to get in a couple good runs. Day 1 wasn't the mountain run I was dreaming about, but it was a great attempt at nature for a downtown.
Day 2, however, was the real winner. One of my mucky-muck co-workers is a runner and triathlete. He and another guy were planning to run and invited me to join. Score! A.) It got me out of boring conference stuff, B.) more running!, and. C.) it was a great opportunity to chat with said mucky-mucks.

One of the guys only went a few miles, and the other guy and I ended up going 10 miles and talked the whole way. He'd obviously smoke me in a race of any kind, but I definitely held my own at a great pace. I made him work and earned his running respect.  The whole thing couldn't have worked out better. Running is the greatest. Personal AND professional benefints.

Trail race?
The more I read about people doing trail runs, the more jealous I get. It just sounds so pretty. Well, imagine my surprise when I stumbled on a trail race in 10 days that's minutes from my house. Minutes! I had no idea there were trails there. Granted, I don't think it's major climbs or rocks or roots, but who cares? I'M SO EXCITED!

Just like the time I bought a bike and decided to become a triathlete six days later, I'm going to trail race without ever having run on a real trail before. Weeeee!

4 comments:

Nitmos said...

Yes, get into the trail run habit. Speaking of which, I should do the same.

Indi said...

Trails runs are the BEST!!! in case my off an on posts don't give it away..I'm a HUGE fan of trail running. Its taken my running, confidence and friendship to places like nothing else has! Good Luck, enjoy it all and can't wait to read all about it!

Abbie Anderson said...

Trail runs are the best but ultra tough. I love love your site. I’m putting together a huge giveaway in conjunction with a novel about a runner. We’ve received some amazing sponsors for our giveaway and hoping you will be a part of it. Our idea is to promote our book and the products as well as your blog. Hopefully a win win for everyone involved. I sent you an email with more details. If you didn’t receive it please email me at bubcoats@hotmail.com.

Unknown said...

In order to boost my energy before trail running I am taking Navy Seal Formula manufactured by Military Grade Nutritionals. This stuff is amazing, my endurance and strength has got much higher and I still have energy to burn after running. I'm now in much better shape.