- Raising year and a half year old twins.
- Running as much as I can.
- Working.
What I learned in 2011
This was my first full year running as a mom, and I pretty much learned that it's hard. Certainly not impossible, but hard. Part of my problem is working mom's guilt. Part of my problem is being an outside running snob. I have no problem running when it's dark and cold, but I'm obviously not going to take the boys with me like that. Then when I go by myself, I feel guilty leaving them since I do that all day. We hit a real sweet spot in the summer/fall of a ton of stroller running after work and in the mornings. I'll just have to wait for that again.
I also discovered that I can't JUST stroller run and expect to be ready to race. Learned that the hard way. Twice. Finally, I remembered how much I love running. It really feeds my soul and makes me feel like me. A potentially challenging thing when you're pulled in so many direction as a mom, wife, daughter, friend, employee, etc.
What I'm doing in 2012
Interesting question. It will go one of two ways:
- The year of the marathon
- The year of the triathlon
Now, should I not get selected into New York (as if), I'll probably focus on triathlons. My only regret in life is not doing an Ironman before having kids. I had nothing but time back then. If anyone out there is thinking about doing something they always wanted to do and they don't have kids yet, do it! Do it right now!
While I know an Ironman won't happen this year, it will happen some day. This year might be the year of sprints and oly's with a half IM in 2013. Maybe. I need to find some time to bike and swim though.
Racing in 2012
Deciding between 1 & 2 will determine my race schedule, but I know for sure that I'm doing the Lincoln Half Marathon in May. This was the first year in a long time that I got my shit together enough to be prepared. I don't train as well in March and April, but so long as I don't hate my life during the final 33% of the race, it'll be an improvement over last year.
I'll also run the Omaha half or full in the fall to see if I can best my PR from last year. If Lincoln and Omaha switched dates, that would work out much better for me. I don't really care for the Omaha course, crowd support, hoopla, etc. However, the date is perfect. I'm in fantastic shape in September.
And finally, if I don't do NYC, The Husband and I talked about taking a vacation around a race. That sounds like crazy fun, so I'm looking forward to doing some research.
So in conclusion, that's my boring life. I love reading about all the racing and training everyone is doing. It definitely keeps me motivated and gets me really exciting for spring.

15 comments:
I found your blog on TB. I'm glad your back to blogging! I'm married to a marathoner/Ironman and love reading about others adventures in the endurance world. Maybe it will motivate me one day.
We've done several vacations/long weekends around a race, it's awesome! In my spectator opinion, at least.
Good luck with your training & races!
I love the pictures of your sons :). They are super cute and I bet they love riding in the stroller while you run! Good luck with deciding on marathons or tris to do, I bet you'd enjoy either one and have a good time (in both the clock sense and the fun sense).
A.L.
Well either, it way sounds like 2012 will be a big year for you racing wise! I hope your wishes aren't futile and you get into NY!!
Your boys are getting so big! I hear ya with the whole Ironman thing. I would love to do one, but it is such a time commitment, which = time away from the family. I figure there will be a time when Morgan doesn't need or want me around as much and then I can train for one! Best of luck with NYC Lottery.
I'm reading still. Your kids are around my DD's age and I run too so a lot of what you say makes sense.
Keep up the blogging in all that free time you have :)
And GL getting into NYCM!
this sounds like an exciting year! Yay for you! I agree - I tell everyone - anything you want to do in life,do it pre-kids!!! Also I want to do an ironman too. I think it's my goal for when I'm 40. I hope you get into NYC. I can't believe how big the little ones are- they are adorable!!
Those little dudes are getting way too cute.
Huh...I forgot you had a blog too! Unfortunately I forget I have one sometimes too. Twitter is sooo much easier. Good luck with...whatever happens, I guess.
I have trouble blogging too. Young kids do that to you, I suppose. I'm crawling back into the blogosphere and back into the whole running thing, too. I didn't realize how much I missed it.
Your chances of getting into NYC are actually much higher than if you lived here, so fingers crossed you get in, I'd love to meet you!
And I give maaaaajor props to any moms who run (especially working moms) because I just can't imagine fitting it all in!
Welcome back - the boys are getting so big! I can't believe how fast the Lincoln sold out this year! CB Half was great last year and will be again this year and is April 22 in case you want a trifecta :)
amen to doing an IM before kids. i wish i could go back and knock myself over the head for not doing one because i was worried about being slow. that would be the LEAST of my worries now. don't be scared of NY...super fun marathon!! go in without time goals...it's one just to experience.
Hiya XC2, I've tagged you. Feel free to ignore, no pressure.
Hi,
don't sweat it too much! Your blog's interesting :). I have twins and just started taking running seriously, thinking about a marathon this year too!
I started a blog slowly after having my boys, it's good for sanity being a work-at-home mom, and now that they're 3 I'm more disciplined to write. It's fun to have the journey recorded in some way.
Wow! I'm so impressed with your ability to juggle everything in your life! Just reading about it exhausts me sometimes. ;-)
What do you do for work? I've gathered that it has something to do with fitness and am just curious...
Post a Comment