Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pre-race spazzing

(First, a huge thanks to everyone following me on twitter.  I was terribly self-conscious about posting to no one.  I feel much better now, and I'm loving this twitter business.)

Follow RunNiki on Twitter
Anyway, I'm racing in the aptly named "BFE Relay" race this weekend.  It's 60 miles around the dirt roads of central Nebraska.  Have you ever been to central Nebraska?  Not "flown over", not "driven through", but actually BEEN to central Nebraska?  We have a whole lotta this:
That will be my view for 10+ hours in a minivan.

HOWEVER, it's going to be a great time.  The girls on our team are a hoot, I've been running well, and any day that you get to spend doing what you love is pretty fantastic.

HOWEVER HOWEVER, since this is an extra long race, my pre-race spazzing has been in over-drive.
  • I'm obsessed with the weather.  I have three weather apps on my phone and four websites bookmarked on my computer.  I cycle through them all several times a day.
  • What the hell do I wear?  I'm running at least three legs in a corn sauna, so I'm tempted to just wear a sports bra to stay cool and save space.  Can't decide if that's obnoxious or not.
  • What the hell do I eat/drink?  The info from the race director is as follows: There are a few gas stations along the route. In Roseland there is also Reggie's Bar.  Soooo, you're saying I should pack my own Larabars, right?
  • The coordination of stuff/schedule for The Husband, two toddlers, grandparents, and great grandparents may be the death of me. Since my in-laws live 30 minutes from the race, The Husband and boys will be hanging out with his fam.  Nothing is ever simple.  There's a good chance we'll be switching car seats around at 5am before I leave.  Awesome.
  • Will my blackberry battery survive?!  I'm not thinking it's going to last through 10 hours of twitter surfing.  Although, who am I kidding.  Like I'll get service out there anyway...
Despite my City Girl Snobbery and high maintenance race prep, this race has plenty of pluses.

1.Breaking in my pretty new shoes.  Ooooh, shoe porn:

2.Amping up my farmer's tan.  Nothing says "I'm a legit runner!" like the ever-present white summer shorts.

3. These two get to run around the farm chasing dogs, cats, and cows.  Pretty much a little kid's dream.
2.5 more days until race day...

7 comments:

Marlene said...

Have so much fun!!!

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh i've not heard of this relay..i have a pretty good idea why but i love a good relay team! you will have a blast in those corn fields

Jess said...

I suppose Nabraskans are more modest than Floridians, but running in shorts and sports bra is totally acceptable for racing gear!

Good luck and have fun!

That Pink Girl said...

Jog bra, no shirt. You can pull it off (dayum girl!) plus once that dry wick shirt is soaked, it isn't doing you any favors anyway. Good luck!

MCM Mama said...

Agreeing with the others - run in a sports bra. And I've been in central NE - pack your own food. Even if the gas station has food, you won't be wanting to eat it. ;o)

Jamie said...

So exciting! Can't wait to hear all about it!

BrianFlash said...

Sounds like three day old warmed hot dogs might be on the menu.

And by the way - you do know that you can't do anything about the weather right? No need to obsess - it is what it is.

I'm just trying to help you avoid some worry :)