Friday, July 16, 2010

Week 1 observations

First, thank you all so much for all the congrats and kind words about our baby news. Especially all you lurkers.

Life with the boys is going really really well. We're beyond anxious to get them home, and hopefully that'll be soon. Since I have time now, I thought I'd reflect on the first week of being a mom. And include pics, of course.

1. Having your babies in the NICU is one of the hardest things in the world- My heart breaks every single night we leave at night without them. There have been tears. Many, many tears.

2. Having your babies in the NICU does have some perks- I don't worry about their health, I get daily instructions from awesome nurses, I sleep plenty, and best of all: FREE DIAPERS!

3. A healthy active pregnancy makes post-pregnancy way easier- I weighed myself this morning, and so far I've lost 25 of the 34 I gained. My (fat) jeans even fit too. Once my hibernating abs come back to hold in my guts again, we'll be golden. At least I now look just a little chubby instead of still pregnant.

I'm going to start walking next week (when I'm not at the hospital all the time), and I'm dying to start running soon. We'll see what the doctor says. One week post c-section is close enough to six weeks, right?

4. Nursing makes you starving- OMFG. I've never been this hungry and thirsty in my life. Not during marathon training and not during summer bricks. I need to eat constantly.

5. My brains have fallen out of my head- I can't remember anything. It's not like I have the "lack of sleep" excuse either. Hopefully my brains come back some day. It's tragic.

6. I love my husband more than I ever thought possible- He's amazing. That's all.

7. I have the cutest babies in the entire world- duh.

Sam:
Luke:

48 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Our youngest was in the NICU for Jaundice and I hated it!! I was only allowed to take him out of the bili-lights every few hours. Made me ill.

But sleep WOW!!

Nursing is Mother Natures way to get you back in shape, but EAT if you need to eat.. you are going to NEED your energy with 2 little ones.

Hugs and blessings..

teacherwoman said...

Congratulations!!!! What a couple of handsome baby boys you have there! How precious!

Melissa said...

Oh, the boys are so cute and look really precious in the pictures. I can't imagine how hard it is to leave them in the NICU. Soon they will be home though!

One week is totally almost like 6 weeks ;-)

Niki said...

Precious, precious babies!! Glad they are doing well in the NICU and hopefully will be coming home soon! Hopefully the nurses will be nice and send you free diapers home :) I always snuck some to my patients parents when they went home!!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you and your fat jeans! They're adorable.

Unknown said...

wow! Good for you for nursing twins!
Congratulations and get lots to eat!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

I have heard so many nursing moms accuse their babies of sucking their brain through their boob! Apparently this forgetfulness/nursing thing is a scientific phenomenon!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Do you already follow Amy?

http://granolasdodallas.blogspot.com/2010/03/hostess-golden-cupcakesand-nine-more.html

Angela and David said...

Congrats. They are adorable. I can't imagine how hard it is to leave them every night.

Take it easy recovering from the c-section. I walked a ton after a few days, started riding my bike very easily around 5 weeks and then ran at 6 weeks. Let yourself heal!

And I really miss how much I was able to eat while breastfeeding. Enjoy it!

I Run for Fun said...

Congratulations!!! I have been buried in work and this is the first I've got a chance to see this. Your boys are adorable adn you guys make such a lovely family!

Clare said...

yeah, that nursing hunger thing is INSANE. i gained 10 pounds after i lost it all because i needed food like i had never needed it before. go with it though...when you stop, it all goes away. good luck with the NICU...can't even imagine.

That Pink Girl said...

Ooh, those precious boys are just adorable! Glad you are getting some rest while they relax in the "baby spa." (my friend had a preemie and refused to call it the NICU) They'll be home in no time. In the mean time, you, your babies and their care givers are in my prayers!

Jamie said...

Ahhhhh! Love it, so cute! I can only imagine how hard nicu is. They will be home soon.

kristen said...

Hey girl. Totally disapapeared from the blogosphere and imagine my surprise when I popped in!! Wow! Congratulations. SO exciting! They are beautiful boys! xoxo

Pat said...

Your babies are adorable! I hope they get to go home soon. I can't imagine how hard it is for you to have to go home without them every night. Good luck to you and your new family.

Anonymous said...

Here's what I know about babies - they are muther funkin stink bombs.

J said...

Wow that is crazy you lost 25 pounds already!! Those boys must have been crazy heavy to carry around!! I love the little hats so cute!!

Jess said...

I cna't imagine having them in the NICU; it's gotta be rough!

I too lost about 25 lbs int eh first week after Norah was born, and those other 5 lbs stuck with me for a few months. They took some work to shed. But BF will help you with that, fo sho!

joyRuN said...

Good heavens, this is what happens when I don't check in with the blogosphere regularly!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Enjoy your handsome little men, & hope they get out of the NICU soon :D

Jen Feeny said...

OMG they are beautiful! I am so glad I went surfing through the blog posts today! I can't believe I missed your having them! I must catch up! Take care of yourself and those little ones!!! XOXO

Heather said...

I hope you get to bring the boys home soon. They are adorable!

ShutUpandRun said...

I imagine it would be torture not having them at home, but like you said, there are some perks. You sound like you are in a great state of mind. So happy for you!

Anonymous said...

OMG they are so cute! When my friend had her triplets, they were in the NICU for over three months; she said many of the same things you did. Sleep while you can, keep eating for those babies and give em both a huge hug and kiss from me :)

Take care!

Mica said...

CUUUUUTIES!

I'm sorry that you have to leave the niƱos every night. However, I hear that getting sleep is a rare treasure for new parents, so enjoy it while you can?

Nicole said...

awww! your little men are so handsome! :) i cant wait to hear about them coming home with you! they are so tiny looking! keep it up mama, you rock!

Susan said...

Only a baby would look cute with a tube down his nose. :) Hopefully it's not there for long though.

Can't wait to see those boys at home!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again! The boys are both adorable!

The Laminator said...

Amazing! Your baby boys are adorable. Who needs to go running when you can stare at them all day? Congrats again!

Erika said...

They are so precious and adorable! glad to hear that everyone is well. Don't worry about your eating..nursing burns LOTS of calories and I'm sure your little peanuts need the good stuff too! Hopefully they will be home very soon for you to snuggle with!
My youngest is 18 months, and I think I still suffer from mommy brain sometimes:)

Denise said...

i'm tearing up for you!! so happy for you and your family. the boys are adorable and i hope they get home, where they belong, soon!!!

Nicole said...

Adorable babies! Hope the NICU stay is short and uneventful, and you will have a noisy house soon enough!!

Whitney said...

Yes - absolutely the cutest babies!

Marlene said...

This post bring tears to my eyes! I'm just so happy for you. Enjoy every minute and I hope your gorgeous boys come home soon!

Anonymous said...

Aww- your babies are totally cute :). It has to suck leaving them in the NICU, but at least you're getting a little rest and like you said, free diapers.

I just found your blog today from a link on another blog and I'm going to subscribe. That's pretty awesome that you're already losing the baby weight too. I hope that when I get pregnant (if I ever have kids), I can run too, until the doctor says no more running.

Amy Lauren

RunningLaur said...

Congratulations again! You have hands down the cutest family of all time. :)

Abby said...

Just got back to the real (and blog) world and saw the news - congratulations!! Beautiful names and beautiful boys - can't wait to read about your adventures with them!

RunToTheFinish said...

Thanks for the update!! I know you are busy, but we all sure do love hearing that things are going well overall.

hope the lovelies can come home soon and then you'll have more reasons to be tired :)

Alisa said...

Awwww they are cuties!

I could not even imagine having a baby and then having it go to NICU.

Take that recovery seriously, C-sections are a big surgery.

Can't wait to hear about life with the boys =).

Katie A. said...

You make some beautiful babies lady! They are so adorable! My thoughts and prayers are with you right now! I can't imagine how hard it is to leave them. Congrats on getting back into those jeans, too! You are super woman!

N.D. said...

They are so adorable! I'd say the perks are the sleep right now, enjoy that :) but it has to be heartbreaking to leave them! and exhausting to be with them all day and then leave and go back. You are doing great - lost all that weight already! You are incredible! And yes on the nursing and being starving - can't imagine for 2 babies how that is done! and I think it will take a while for me to get my brain back also.

Midwest said...

Beautiful. Congratulations.

Jess said...

So glad that you've been able to learn from the nurses in the NICU! Hopefully the boys will come home soon and be super happy and healthy.

Enjoy all the extra food you get to eat while nursing!

Marathon Maritza said...

I'm sending you lots of take-the-babies-home wishes!

Running and living said...

OMG, CONGRATSx2! They are adorable, and tall!!!! Make sure you get enough sleep now that they are away - you are running on adrenaline, but that will wear out. Just had to say that, I learned the hard way:) Enjoy motherhood!

Unknown said...

Wow! Your babies are precious! Congratulations to you and your husband. I am on the planning a wedding track and can't wait until I get to brag about little ones too!

Check out my new health and beauty blog Running With Mascara

Unknown said...

Congratulations! They are precious, precious little boys. Glad they are finally here. I've been thinking about you all summer!

Miss you!

Unknown said...

Beautiful babies. My son was in NICU for his first few days. We were lucky as it was only a few days, but I feel for you! They are in good hands, Momma, they just need to get a bit bigger so you can bring them home. :-)

Chic Runner said...

So I'm light years behind but I'm just catching up on all your posts and LOVE them! They are just darling and I'm glad everything is going great. :) I know they are out of the NICU now and I'm so happy for you