Thursday, April 8, 2010

A very different kind of cradle

I had a doctor appointment today, and things are still going super with both boys and me. The scale had me a bit nervous since I'm fairly obsessed with cake recently, and would steal it from a child without blinking, but the gain was right on track. Success!

She was very pleased with my health/activity level and suggested I look into getting a support belt to wear while I run. She specifically mentioned a "prenatal cradle", and I giggled because I'm easily amused by things that rhyme.

Then I got back to work and started googling. (FYI: Never, ever google when you're pregnant. Anything. No good comes of it.)

Behold, the Prenatal Cradle:
It gives you very bad hair, terrible taste in clothing, and what I anticipate to be some jacked up boobs, but I can see how it would be effective.

Wait, let's take a peek at the back before we think it's an official good idea:
Whoa. It's like a full-body jockstrap! How the hell is THAT comfortable when you run? Or move? Or sit?! (Not to mention the perma-VPL. Tisk tisk.)

Maybe the full-body contraption is a bad idea. How about something for just my stomach?
Oooh, at least she doesn't have the massive bangs, but she also doesn't look the least bit pregnant. Points deducted for credibility, prenatal cradle sellers.

The crotch part still concerns me though. Let's take a closer look at the nutcup part:Oh shit, is that LACE?! It's like lingerie sold at the medical supply store between the canes and plastic reading glasses. Seeeex-ay!

Okay, how about just a belt?

I give up.

If you managed to get yourself knocked up before your senior pictures in 1993, there's no shame in hiding it. Tease that hair, accessorize that black body suit, pose awkwardly, and SUPPORT THAT BELLY!

56 comments:

Jess said...

There are belly bands that are a lot less strange than those, and I would imagine far more comfortable. You can get them at any baby store and they generally are inexpensive.

I didn't use a belly band to run while I was pregnant; however, I wasn't carrying twins, so I'm not sure that compares.

j.p. said...

Freaking HILARIOUS!

Mica said...

OMG what are these things? They look so sexual. Ughhh. WHy don't you just wrap a TON of exercise tape around your tummy?

The Boring Runner said...

Wooooow. Speachless. I'm not going to lie, I'm seriously considering giving you some money just to see what someone would look in one of these things...and maybe a little extra for some aqua-net hair spray.

Clare said...

wowzers. i used the gabrialla band http://www.fitmaternity.com/maternity-clothes/ga003.html not sexy but...ummm, really, why would you want it to be? those are some seriously creepy things you found.

Mark said...

Oh damn...that's just hot. All of it. I would recommend buying two of each so you can wear them AFTER you've had the kids too.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Get a runningskirts.com maternity skirt. Super supportive, even after delivery. Also, bella bands work quite well!

Marathon Maritza said...

Those are the most horrifying/hilarious pictures I have ever seen, especially the 80's belly belt glamour shot!

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical!!!!!

Running and living said...

I did not wear a belt and I had a pretty big belly by the end of my pregnancy. But, I did not carry twins. I've seen some belts that are just elastic that goes over the belly, maybe try some of those. Entertaining post, though!

Katie A. said...

I hate to admit this, but I have a junior high portrait picture with that same neon light back ground! Yeah, I rocked it even back then :)

Wow, all of those just look so scarry - and now have me running for the hills on getting prego!! I'm glad you can be my guinea pig - let me know which one you choose! Hahahahaha!

Michelle Simmons said...

Your sense of humor is the best! Crack me up. ;) Glad you're still feeling so awesome!!

Carly said...

hahahahahahahaha!!!!! I can't stop laughing.

MCM Mama said...

Those? Are awesome! I think I speak for all of us when I say I'd be happy to contribute if you'd actually buy one and model it on your blog. Totally LMAO!

I know there are other things out there, but I never used any 'cause I didn't run with my first and the only exercise I got with my second was to chase the first and eat any food that got in my way. ;o)

teacherwoman said...

Those are hilarious! Especially the last one with your comments! LOL!

ym said...

Hahahaha, you just made my day.

Erika said...

OMG! thank you for the laugh today. My stomach seriously hurts!

ShutUpandRun said...

I cannot beleive these things really exist. Speechless.

Razz said...

I'm entranced by the light saber war behind preggos on the last pic.

I'll give you $5 to wear any of those in public.

Heather said...

Those pictures are hilarious! I never used a belly band while I was pregnant . . . but I didn't have twins either. :)

Aimee said...

Ha ha ha...those pics are hilarious!

Heather said...

Hubba hubba! Im going to run out and buy those. I want to look awesome like that

Niki said...

OMG, funniest thing I've read and seen all day!! Love all the pregnancy posts! Glad everything is going well with you and the 2 boys!

Jamie said...

OMG I am never having kids! Those are hilarious!

RunningLaur said...

The background on the last one is just so classic. And lace, really? Like that helps.

The Laminator said...

Omigosh...those pics are hilarious! Good job XC4...I wonder which one of those you will go for?

Unknown said...

funny stuff. i think MOST of us just let it all "hang loose" when preggers

Alisa said...

LOL this is the best post ever! Googling even when you're not pregnant can have bad consequences.

Maggs said...

Wow. What are they thinking. A little money spent on better marketing might make a huge difference. And I LOVE the lace. That's hysterical.

Anonymous said...

hahah you crack me up. I bet you can find one that isn't THAT crazy! They seem like a good thing to wear..

Katie said...

I didn't wear a band while running pregnant and I ran until a little over 8 months, but like others have stated I wasn't carrying twins. I'm also pregnant now (20 weeks) so this post made me look up bands. I didn't see anything that looked all that great, but I did see this bamboo belly bandit for after birth. I think I might get me one of those! You should google it. ;)

J said...

Wow that looks great! You should definitely get one! Lol

Unknown said...

SO glad I just found your blog! We read some of the same ones it looks like! I about died reading this post. So funny! Love it~

Indi said...

Uhhh huh!!! Hmmm...those are umm. quite the statement! WoW! That's all I've got.

Angela and David said...

This post is hysterical! I didn't use any bands when I was running prego but I think I may have just stopped running if I had to wear one of those things.

Oh, and if you think googling something now is bad, wait until one of those boys has a rash and you google it and conclude he has some rare horrible disease. Stay away from google.

Anonymous said...

You are HYSTERICAL! Seriously, one should never laugh as hard at work as I just did (they just don't pay you as much when they think you're having fun). All but peed my pants. Tee hee!

Jeri said...

omg this is amazing. Please do yourself and the blog world a favor and by a one piece, full length purple tight suit. Then post pictures. It would literally make my 2010. :)

Melissa Marie Head said...

Wow those look super scary!

Whitney said...

Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaahhh - those things are AWESOME!!!

Kelly said...

Hahaha. Those pictures are phenomenal. Which one did you go with? :)

Marlene said...

Just... wow.

All I cna say is that if you buy and use one of these, we're gonna need pictures. Lots of pictures. Preferably in your usual mock-running pose. :)

No Longer Using said...

I AM CRINGEING!!!!!!!! eeeek. i'm sooo not into the butt or crotch straps. i mean i totally get it... and "support" it (hahaha get it?)... i just dunno if i could swing it.

Colleen Walseth said...

OMG!!! LOL!!!! good luck with making a choice!!

Felice Devine said...

Oh, holy crap. Never. NEVER!!!

What about doubling up on those stretchy belly band things?

Jess said...

HAHAHA Oh my gosh those pictures amazing. Seriously I am cracking up. You'll have to model yours for us when you pick one haha!

Tri Mommy said...

This post made me laugh. I searched online for one of these too and never bought one. Of course, my doctors didn't let me run or workout while I was pregnant with our twins... not sure why, but they just said no.

N.D. said...

haha! I got one at target that is just a band and that's it! I too was disgusted by the things out there.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

OMG that is sooo funny!!

kristen said...

Holy crap. Was that for real?!

prashant said...

.that's just hot. All of it. I would recommend buying two of each so you can wear them AFTER you've had the kids too.
home jobs india

I Run for Fun said...

LMAO...Where did you find those things?!! Can you only wear them if you are pregnant? They make me want to run out and buy one right now!

RoadBunner said...

I have no words. no. words. LOL

Nicole said...

Hahaha! Love it. Can't say I ever used one when I was pregnant with my two, though...

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Hahaha, what is with the hair! Ummm, totally strange pics, thanks for the giggle!

Denise said...

oh my gosh...i didn't even know these thing existed!! i wouldn't know how to put it on!

ShirleyPerly said...

Who comes up with these things!!!

My gut hurts from laughing so hard (so maybe I need one too?).