- I wonder how much energy I waste keeping my arm at pit level like that. Sheesh.
- Girl, you need some longer shirts.
Now, I'm certainly taller than average, but I'm not exactly Amazon status. Still, finding shirts (and pants for that matter) long enough is ALWAYS a challenge. I've learned to layer a lot of tank tops and get creative over the years. Since a Target long and lean tank top isn't really an option under workout clothes, bring on Project Runway: Home Edition.
Here's the jersey I purchased (online) on sale and plan to wear for Sunday's big ride.
It looks pretty long, doesn't it? That's what I thought too. Trust me, it's not. Not flattering, not cute, and unacceptable for my first ride among actual cyclists.
Solution: Take this old race shirt from the 2008 Lincoln Half Marathon and get to choppin'. This was my first race, when I fell back in love when running, and just a wonderful memory. But if we're being honest, this thing was never even close to long enough to wear again. It would be sacrificed to the greater good.
TA-DA! A custom jersey that doesn't make me feel like I'm wearing mom jeans! And plus, I cut it so the "Powered by Aquafina" part was still part of the original shirt. It's tucked in the back and sewed under, but it makes me feel like I'm actually sponsored by Pepsi.
Really, it's the little things in life that keep me entertained. Have a great weekend, and good luck to everyone racing!

54 comments:
Nice home-ec skills, and congrats on making the cover! I think it's a great pic! have a great ride this weekend :)
Now aren't you glad you went out and bought those tri shorts?? Make sure you print a copy and leave it in neighbor boy's mailbox to emphasize what he missed out on. Nice idea with the jersey...I have the same problem, but I don't think that two-layer look would fly for a dude. Any ideas, Mrs. home-ec queen??
WOW if i did that it would not look so nice. well it's a moot point because i can't sew so i wouldn't be able to do it anyway, lol. nice handiwork!!!!
and CONGRATS making the online paper!!!!!!!!!!!!! analyzing your pic, hehehe. you know there is this saying "if you've got it..." (flaunt it just in case you didn't know where i was going with that). lol. niiiiiiiiiiiiiicE!
That's funny. Your home-ec skills will also spare you the funny burn I always get on my back just above my shorts were my shirt and shorts no longer overlap when I lean over.
And is that boy trying to sell you a magazine as you run by? Stupid kids.
Congrats cover-girl! Glad the home ec skills are coming in handy. Have fun with your ride this weekend.
You have definitely gone from XC2 to awesomeness2 Great job!
Love it. The pic is very exciting too!
So, if your friend were only into biking and running would he/she be your bi friend, then?
Congrats on getting your photo in the paper!
And very good on your jersey solution. I have occasionally gotten a sunburn on my lower back from shirts not being long enough and, believe me, they hurt.
How cool is it that you were in the paper? I too, run with "bunny" arms, that's what my hubby calls them!
I have such a HARD time finding pants or tops that are long enough too. Do you have any advice on running pants?
You look great in that pic! But isn't there like only 50 people in your town? J/K! Congrats!
And good job on the mad home-ec skills! Very impressed! You are gonna rock it this weekend! Can't wait for the race report! :)
It looks like the kid is excited for you too.
Is that kid in the photo the neighbor boy? what a stalker... :p
congrats on making the papers on your first tri! very nice home ec skills :)
Congrats on making the cover! I thought you looked great.
Great job adding to the jersey... you're one smart cookie! :)
Great shirt! There is nothing like a bit of sewing to make the clothes fit better. There is nothing like a race pic. to make you realize you need to do some sewing.
Great stuff on making the papers! I would get at least 20 copies to hand out to anyone who is either slightly interested or too polite to decline.
Haha, you are sneaky, but hey, whatever works! HAVE A FABULOUS WEEKEND :)
You look FABULOUS in that photo, even if your arms are a little high! :o)
I definitely don't have to worry about too short tanks. I'm a shorty. I usually have to make sure they don't look like mini-dresses on me.
You are one creative chick. Is that playboy he's holding while looking at you?
Yay for making the papers! That's awesome! Love your "homemade jersey"!!
Nice handy-work
McGyver strikes again! Great idea and damn girl you have some great legs! JELAOUS! :)
Here's my analysis of that picture -
That 10 year old kid behind you who's staring at your body with his mouth open?
He doesn't know it yet, but 20 years from now he'll look back at this picture and say, "THAT day, I became a man!"
And then his wife will say, "That's what YOU think, little boy! NOW RUB MY FEET!1!"
"Yes, ma'am ..."
Hahahahahaha!
You're his first!
creative solution! do we get a modeled picture of the custom jersey? i'm curious what it looks like on!
Look at you cutting&sewing! Any home-ec teacher would be proud. I love those shorts you wore too for your race, they're pretty sweet.
very crafty! martha stewart would be proud :)
Great solution. You should model the finished product.
Now THAT is creative. You're going to have to show us some pics of your handy work in action.
Your stitches left me in stitches...no really, very cute!
Have fun racing!
meg
That's awesome. I'm like 6'2" or so, and maybe I need something like that! And I analyze my race pics for same thing, form issues, style points, etc.
LOVE your custom jersey! That's awesome!
That's also pretty cool about making it into the online paper! Very nice.
Love the kid in the background. What is his deal?
Grats on the front page. After winning so many races in a row, it was inevitable. Love the kid reaction, he is clearly astounded by what he sees.
Well damn! You're athletic AND can sew - I superglue buttons back where they belong :)
Excellent press coverage there!
So creative!! It doesn't matter what we look like, at least that's what I tell myself cause I always look like azz when I work out!
V creative! Also, awesome pic in the paper! Good luck with the race! Ana-Maria
I LOVE Target Long 'N Lean tanks!!! If they made a moisture wicking version I'd be the happiest woman EVER. i liked your creative solution, though. Wish I was handy like you!
Very creative!! I like the home-ex skills!
That shirt is FIERCE!
Way to be resourceful! I usually have to cut my stuff to make them shorter.
Great front picture. Can't wait to real all about the ride.
ummm what do you mean not long enough? if that were me the shirt would have ridden up and you would see part of my buddha belly exposed... i think it's a great pic. no flab, just toned sexiness :)
i'm glad you were able to correct the lovely scissor job... i was worried for a second but all turned out OK. my home ec sewing-skills involve iron-on seam, no sewing required!
Cool cover pic and way to make that shirt work for you!
MCM Mama
So clever! Asics makes a looong dry fit cotton tank you should check out. It might work for you!
I love the shirt! you crack me up!!!
that picture in the paper is great- i don't know what your talking about you look awesome!
Congrats on making the paper. And nice tush and legs. I'm jealous!
I have no cutting skills either. It really doesn't seem like it would be that hard.
Dude, listen, if I had your legs, I'd wear NO shorts. Realy, it's true...
She runs. AND she sews. Talent!!!
Hope the ride went well.
Way to go on making use of old race shirts, I don't know about others, but there are more than a few race shirts that I wouldn't want to wear again for one reason or another. Very fine hand-sewing you got there!
Awesome job!
Have you heard of Blush undershirts?? http://www.toplessundershirt.com/
Same concept but for regular clothes. I recently got a few and they work pretty good to put short shirts back into rotation.
Nice handiwork! You should start your own line of extra long tops...money in the bank!!
Let's analyze the picture a little further..
3: What the heck is that kid in the background shielding his eyes from?
Since I am more on the short side I don't have any of these issues. I'm not jealous at all.
HA, you have got some amazing home ec skills, girl! If I had attempted that project, there would have been far more duct tape involved :)
that's awesome you made the cover, how cool is that!!
Crafty! That's awesome! I don't know why they insist on making jerseys so short. After all, we are bending forward to reach our handlebars, so chances are good that they are going to ride up.
Post a Comment