Friday, March 20, 2009

Running group: the update

First, of all the benefits I've found from the run blogging community, a group of people to validate my lunacy has really been the greatest gift of them all. Hugs to everyone!

So back to my first run with the work running group yesterday. Thanks to my thorough cyberstalking, I felt pretty comfortable and confident. A quick introduction/poll of the 9 people there, and I was the only one seriously training for an upcoming race. That helped me feel a little less guilty and needy about monopolizing The Coach. (I spent my early childhood an only child. I don't share well.)

We broke into little groups of various distances, and The Coach offered to pace me during some interval training. Since I've only ever done one interval workout, I was excited to mix it up a little and see what these horrible intervals are all about. We get a half mile warm up, and I can see him watching me from the corner of my eye.

Me: What?

Him: Nothing.... well, do you always carry your arms that high?

Me: I guess. Why?

Him: They shouldn't really be up near your armpits. Do they ever get tired?

Me: Well they WILL NOW!
Are my arms really too high?
Once we got past that over-analytical freak out, we started picking it up. He even had a pretty watch to keep track of everything. I should really get one.

Anyway, we did 5.3 miles in about 44 minutes. Including 5x800:

3:50
3:47
3:43
3:45
3:46

4:20 recovery 800s in between

For someone who never paces, I was pleasantly surprised. Like a very wise woman once said: You're faster than you think.

We made it back to the start and rejoined everyone to stretch. This was the first group run of the season, and I really think I'm going to like it. We already have plans for a night of Old Chicago (beer) carb loading. My kind of people!

The Coach sent me a very complimentary e-mail this morning with our stats and a variety of encouraging tidbits getting me excited about my PR maraton potential. He's even going to alter my training schedule slightly since my "conditioning was further along than he thought." Ahh, he really is a perfect match to my running neediness for positive reinforcement.

I may actually time my 18 miler Sunday to see how that paces out. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

37 comments:

Mica said...

Ohmygosh, I think we might be the same person. I carry my arms up high too, though *I* don't think so.

I wish I had a cool coach to validate my running fears and give me positive reinforcement!

Great job on your workout. Those are some fast 800's. Well, overall, you were just FAST.

P.S. (In the non-creepiest way possible) You look so cute in your picture!

No Longer Using said...

wow that's so cool! sounds like a great coach. way to go speedy!

Abby said...

Nice work!

I'm going to my first track workout this week with a local running club - I'm totally nervous!

ShirleyPerly said...

I used to think carrying my arms too high was bad but not after seeing and reading that many elite runners doing the same thing (not that I'm even close to being an elite runner). I tend to carry my arms lower when running easy, though. I think our arm positions are actually quite similar!

Kelly said...

I have no idea if you carry your arms too high. I do know we have the same pair of gloves to run in though. I knew that color blue looked familiar. I don't know much about splits or if that sort of time for 5.3 miles is normal, but I think it' super speedy. Way to go!

RunningLaur said...

So cool that the running group seems good, and the coach sounds even better!

I went through a phase where I was really worried about carry my arms to high. I think it was after seeing race photos. Anyway, I would run on the treadmill and make sure that I couldn't see them pop up above dash in the window. Haven't thought about it in a long time, so let's say that it's all better. Haha.

Michelle Simmons said...

Love it! You ARE faster than you think! :)

Glad you found a good group to run with!

Marlene said...

Nice splits! I would love to run with a pacer... I'm trying to convince my speedy hubby, but he's afraid we'll end up arguing. lol

Your arms don't look too high to me but many people HAVE told your hands should be nearer your hips (that doesn't feel natural to me).

joyRuN said...

That's awesome!!

When I do my intervals, I do find my arms creeping up higher as my shoulders tense up. It's less of a problem on my easy runs though.

C said...

Now I'm going to be obsessed with my arm placement while running...

J said...

Great job on the interval run! You are faster than you think - plus having The Coach there prolly helped you too!!

About the arms - that picture doesn't really show much. If you are comfortable then only minor tweaking might help. Some of the people on my team have the weirdest looking arms when they run but they are fast so it really doesnt make that much of a difference i guess!!!

Jamie said...

Nice job on the intervals! I think I may carry my arms high too! Sounds like a good first group outing!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad things worked out. It is nice having someone there for support and to help pace and push you. Awesome job!

Cindy said...

i noticed one guy i ran with today kept his hands all the way down by the family jewels. to each his own. that sounds like a great- and fast- run!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

i don't know bout your arms, sister, but from the look in your eyes there I'd say the rest of you is tweaking on crystal meth. So yeah, probably your arms are high too because Teh Meth doesn't discriminate.

Hope this constructive criticism helps!

Amy said...

I think tons of runners start to carry their arms high when it starts to get hard. From pictures, I know I do.

Glad the running group worked out! :)

Christy said...

My husband just happens to be an exercise guru, and he says the same thing as your coach. He says the higher our arms are when we run, the more tense our upper bodies are, which basically means we are wasting energy/muscle power in our upper bodies when we should be focusing that energy on our lower bodies. Does that make sense? He's the exercise science major, he could explain it better.

I used to be a high arm runner, but with lots of work and coaching I've fixed it, and it really does make a huge difference.

Maggs said...

Groups are great motivators. Glad you found a good one.

Denise said...

Great job!! I meet my coach in person tomorrow night. I can't wait to get started!

RunToTheFinish said...

hmm arms are too high? interesting.

way to go on working with the group!

SuperDave said...

Cool to have a coach! and FREE!!
Arms to high? That's me!
4:20 800's is not much of a recovery after 3:45's. I always thought recoveries were 1-2 mins slower than actual intervals.
I'm not running hard enough - then again that's probably why I'm so slow.. :)

I Run for Fun said...

Wow! That sounds like a great run. Hmmm...I can't tell that your arms are too high. Like the pic, though...you look very focused.

Unknown said...

Sounds like the coach may be a great match for ya. Hope it works out well and you destroy the old PR.

Eileen Swanson said...

Hi, nice blog ;-) Great work on your running intervals!!

Felice Devine said...

Yay for lunacy!!

Nice job on the 800s. They are tough!

ShutUpandRun said...

Your arms look fine to me. Cute picture.

Aron said...

so fun!!! great job on the intervals and sounds like the coach is a perfect match for you. i carry my arms a little too high too... i try to bring them down but they just want to go back up :)

B. Kramer said...

Nice job on the intervals.

I worry about people who freak out about "proper" form. I think it's combo of what has worked for other greats and what feels right to you. We're all different.

raulgonemobile said...

Cool! Glad the group worked out well..

Yeah, I'm with you.. as soon as someone mentioned something about my form, I'd be all over concentrating about it. I say with go with what you normally do, because it seems to work.

Jess said...

That is pretty fast!

Tammy said...

Great job on those intervals!

You're so lucky to have a coach.

Chic Runner said...

nice workout and glad you have a great coach! :) Your arms might get tired if you hold them high but this is not creepy, but that pic of you is great! I love it !:)

Marcy said...

I guess I carry my arms high too? Because that's how I look LOL

Unknown said...

I'm the last person to try to give arm advice - my coach tells me that my arms aren't right either.

Brian said...

Thats my kind of carboloading :)

Alisa said...

Better than my bird/bunny arms!

Lindsay said...

can't complain that you are 'further along'! nice job on the 800s!! :) i have no idea about your arms - you look normal to me. glad it went well and the stalking paid off.